Asphaltene combating it
05-28-2019, (Subject: Asphaltene combating it ) 
Asphaltene combating it
What is the best additive to fight asphaltene? My filter is clogs up in less than 3000 miles.

I've already dropped my tanks sent them in to get acid washed, took off my IFSM, tore it all apart and cleaned inside to the best I could. The tank was so black inside it, now it's all silver and clean.

Filled tanks, ran shock treatment of killem, and power service diesel kleen, the gray bottle, it still clogs the filter. When I poured the filter in clear tray, it was all murky brown. This is at 3000 miles after cleaning the system out.

I have in tank heater from the engine coolant flowing through it, could bypassing it help at all?

This is 2009 cm871. I run FS19729 for primary filter (davco) and FF2200 for secondary filter.
replyreply
RE: Asphaltene combating it
I would turn the tank heater off if it has valves. If not, i would drain the coolant and add valves.

Fuel heaters are great in the frozen north or if you have a newer engine that doesn't return heated fuel to the tanks in the winter.

But in the summer i find that the tanks are anle to dissapate more than enough heat to keep the fuel from overheating.

980k and never had a tank off for asphaultine and they're still shiny top to bottom.
replyreply
How I keep it at bay is simply using a 10 micron filter in my davco. the filter usually makes it about 10-15k miles at a time. - Tanks have always stayed very clean on the insides.

It sounds like your fighting something else, like algea?.

Keeping your tanks always full helps a lot with the prevention of algea. Every time you have low tanks and you go through a rain storm (basically every time your windshield will fog up), the inside of your fuel tanks sweat and promote algea growth. Keeping tanks topped off reduces this greatly.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
If u have a heater in addition to the 871 circulateing fuel thru the head then u need to at least shut off the coolant to the heater. I recommend installing an air cooler on the return line. 871's put a alot of heat into the fuel. I cant even touch the tanks on my 871 in summer.
replyreply
05-29-2019, (Subject: Asphaltene combating it ) 
If its an 870 it'll make even more than the 871's. I get 7000 or so miles out of a 10 micron filter. Davco recommends a 50 micron on the 870's to this day and a 10 on the 871's. I speculate that its because they make so much asphaltene and filters plug quicker. Now that your tanks are clean you may get more miles out of your filter because its not filtering extra crap out of the tanks.
replyreply
05-29-2019, (Subject: Asphaltene combating it ) 
(05-29-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  If its an 870 it'll make even more than the 871's. I get 7000 or so miles out of a 10 micron filter. Davco recommends a 50 micron on the 870's to this day and a 10 on the 871's. I speculate that its because they make so much asphaltene and filters plug quicker. Now that your tanks are clean you may get more miles out of your filter because its not filtering extra crap out of the tanks.

If I could only get 7,000 miles out of my 10 micron filter, I would install 2 housings in parallel so they could keep up.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-30-2019, (Subject: Asphaltene combating it ) 
I just change it every 7k or so. Its simple enough to do right at the fuel pump. The 15 micron spin on filter goes every other oil change. Because of the use of a 10 micro davco pre-filter.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.