gear oil at oil change
06-03-2019, (Subject: gear oil at oil change ) 
RE: gear oil at oil change
a 2250 holds something like 14 gallons so 13 + 1 gal lube so 8% gear lube to oil ratio so if your capacity is 5 gallons something like .4gallons will be the same ratio. if it were me ied just put in 1/2gallon.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
06-04-2019, (Subject: gear oil at oil change ) 
10% of total capacity is a good round number. And has been thrown around the site here. This is all speculation and close monitoring and oil sampling should be done if you're venturing into uncharted waters.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux , Rawze
06-04-2019, (Subject: gear oil at oil change ) 
(06-03-2019 )hookliftpete Wrote:  Is there a ratio that you guys are using of gear oil to overall oil capacity? I've got a smaller engine, so 1 gallon would be about 1/4 of my total oil capacity, which doesn't seem like a good idea at that ratio.

10% nominal (or 20% max. on an air cooled engine).

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-10-2019, (Subject: gear oil at oil change ) 
What exactly does the gear oil do? I'm about to do it for my first time but I really don't know what it does, I just see that y'all do it.
replyreply
(08-10-2019 )Jorg81 Wrote:  What exactly does the gear oil do? I'm about to do it for my first time but I really don't know what it does, I just see that y'all do it.

There are beneficial additives in the gear oil that are not in regular motor oil. Also the thicker oil helps reduce wear in the head because if you didn't know, the head on an isx is a known weak point.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , Popcorn
Cummins has new updated camshafts and rollers that are wider now and they claim it helps keep the cams lubricated better so there shouldn't be any issues anymore (so they say)

Of course the issue is when guys redo their engines they dont want to replace perfectly good cams and rollers..... that craps expensive!!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(08-10-2019 )Brock Wrote:  Cummins has new updated camshafts and rollers that are wider now and they claim it helps keep the cams lubricated better so there shouldn't be any issues anymore (so they say)

Of course the issue is when guys redo their engines they dont want to replace perfectly good cams and rollers..... that craps expensive!!

mine are old style and still original at 1.3 million miles,.. still look good.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-11-2019, (Subject: gear oil at oil change ) 
(08-10-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-10-2019 )Brock Wrote:  Cummins has new updated camshafts and rollers that are wider now and they claim it helps keep the cams lubricated better so there shouldn't be any issues anymore (so they say)

mine are old style and still original at 1.3 million miles,.. still look good.
How many more miles do you think you can get out of an engine with that many miles on it, Rawze.
replyreply
08-11-2019, (Subject: gear oil at oil change ) 
he rebuilt somewhere near 1mil found out his engine was almost like brand new inside.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.