Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle?
06-07-2019, (Subject: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? ) 
RE: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle?
always kinda wondered to how a set of side skirts like vans use would work to. also debated taking my great dane and getting just some thin but durable plastic sheeting and riveting or bolted plastic under all my bed rails to reduce any drag there. while still keeping the pockets on the sides open so i can still wrap my straps through the rub rain and hooking under the bed on the inside of my side rails. i see alot of company drivers wrap around the rub rail and hook to it which im pretty sure isnt legal in the book and i dont beleive the rub rail is made for that purpose my great dane has stickers specificaly stating not to do it as its a light rail.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
Are you carrying a Moffett too or just strictly product?
replyreply
This trailer will be strictly product. I'll keep the trailer I have now for use with the Moffett. I'll just use the Moffett trailer when needed once I decide on something newer/lighter.
replyreply
06-20-2019, (Subject: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? ) 
I've been doing a good bit of research on the next trailer purchase, and wanted to ask...if you were to purchase a flatbed now, would you do it with/without a header?

I understand the point of one, but wouldn't a secured load prevent movement from an abrupt stop anyway? As far as I can tell, the rule was changed about requiring flatbedders to have some sort of header board on the trailer or headache rack on the truck.

The empty aero drag with a header seems like it would make an mpg difference. For example, I usually run with my trailer about 2 notches from the front (on the sliding 5th wheel track) and I will notice any fuel changes to the tenth between fill-ups. Just for the hell of it, I ran the trailer about 2 notches from the rear of the slide track for the next 2 fill-ups. The mpg resulted in a .205 - .289 loss. All other factors were relatively the same as before. Once bringing the trailer back forward, I immediately returned to 9.089 mpg, thus retrieving the lost mpg.

So, the drag is definitely there according to that test, but also, wouldn't there be a little more versatility when it comes to longer cargo (if I had to overhang)? Seems like the header may prevent some cargo options in that scenario.

BTW, Ill research for months before making a move ....I studied this site before buying a truck so much that I was already sweating about the fuel pump issues and didn't even own a damn rig yet lol!
replyreply
Ok, I'll play too... first figure out what you planning to pull the most with the trailer then plan from there.
as i pull mostly 50 to 70 ft steel beams i got a 50 ft trailer.(ret) as a 48 had way to much overhang for me and the trl lets me get away with out getting permits in some state as i can keep the overhang to a min(under 10') that 2' makes life good( and the 50' keeps me out of CA as they don't like it...and i don't go there anyway :) . BUT i do pay with more drag in the wind from the way the axles are set, but its in WY and the wind is always blowing. as for getting a lift axle...YES!! i wish i had one... spreads are way hard on tires, and if its like mine when i'm lite the tires wear kind of funny, but i'm never lite for long.
if i had to buy one today......id get a 53' disc brakes with a lift axle..fontaine, bensen,ret,east, would be the ones id say to look at. many + and - on each of them
good luck with you search..

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
A bulkhead on the trailer, hell no. A head ache rack on the truck, hell yeah!

Bulkheads get in the way. Headache racks get your equipment on your truck and keep it with the power unit. Some of that gear may help you out of a bind if your pulling other trailers. Also the added bonus of maybe saving your life if something learns how to get out from under your securement while emergency braking.

My oldman would slap me up side the back of the head when I'd do something stupid and that would hurt. I can't imagine a chunk of steel or tubing doing the same would feel very good either.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , smorgan87
Proper securement no header./head ache rack needed. hauling stacked product like plywood/steel put straps/chains across the fronts of things if you dont want forward movement.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
11-16-2019, (Subject: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? ) 
I have an all aluminum 53x102 Chaparral. Nice trailer, a little heavy but she's well made. It has a big double door box and dunage rack in the middle plus spare tire rack between the spread. It doesn't have a lift axle but I do the poor man's lift but not all the time. If a 48 footer will work for you there are a lot of good deals on aluminum trailers that size.
replyreply
11-16-2019, (Subject: Aluminum flatbed spread- with or without lift axle? ) 
Also, no head board on trailer because I do a lot of front overhang. I can do 8'6" off the front and do that very often. I do ran a headache rack on the tractor, just believe it's crazy not to if your flatbedin. Besides were would you store all the chains, binders and other stuff.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.