ISX cm2250 injectors?
06-10-2019, (Subject: ISX cm2250 injectors? ) 
Thumbs Down ISX cm2250 injectors?
Hi everyone. I have a ISX 2250 550HP Demandated & about 61000 miles on fresh overhaul, 972750 miles on truck. The truck quit running while idling the other day & I got it to start again after priming (cycled the key about 4x) it started & ran fine to my unload destination. While unloading under high idle for pto pump it quit again. After priming it started up & ran for about 10 min. then repeat 2x to get the load off. It didn't throw a code but I could obviously tell it wasn't getting fuel. The fuel pump was replaced new in March 2019. I limped towards the home shop I use & it quit 3x on the way there this time giving a check engine light but would go out after 15 seconds or so & come back to full power while driving. We're getting champagne type bubbles in a bucket of fuel from the return line. (Picture) We pulled the injectors & they're passing a vacuum test. The one & only code it gives is (Injector metering rail one pressure low). I'm thinking injectors as they are all the original ones. Your thoughts? Suggestions?   
replyreply
RE: ISX cm2250 injectors?
I would inspect the fuel pump... it sounds like the pump or your ECM took a dump. And what or who programmed that motor? I’m not a mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Shotgun74
(06-10-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would inspect the fuel pump... it sounds like the pump or your ECM took a dump. And what or who programmed that motor? I’m not a mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

Hi Waterloo. I was wondering if the ecm might be playing games as well. It was overhauled & programmed by the man himself Mr. Hagg.
replyreply
Can't you test injectors with the computer insite?

User's Signature: Also known as Shotgun
replyreply
(06-10-2019 )TruckerNick Wrote:  Can't you test injectors with the computer insite?

The injectors passed the test & showed very strong readings with insite back in March before putting the new fuel pump on. Of course that was 3 months ago so who knows.
replyreply
get the injectors tested on a Test bench - I doubt they are bad enough to cause your issue. I would be looking at the rest of the fuel system for your issue.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Shotgun74 , HES
(06-10-2019 )Shotgun74 Wrote:  Hi everyone. I have a ISX 2250 550HP Demandated & about 61000 miles on fresh overhaul, 972750 miles on truck. The truck quit running while idling the other day & I got it to start again after priming (cycled the key about 4x) it started & ran fine to my unload destination. While unloading under high idle for pto pump it quit again. After priming it started up & ran for about 10 min. then repeat 2x to get the load off. It didn't throw a code but I could obviously tell it wasn't getting fuel. The fuel pump was replaced new in March 2019. I limped towards the home shop I use & it quit 3x on the way there this time giving a check engine light but would go out after 15 seconds or so & come back to full power while driving. We're getting champagne type bubbles in a bucket of fuel from the return line. (Picture) We pulled the injectors & they're passing a vacuum test. The one & only code it gives is (Injector metering rail one pressure low). I'm thinking injectors as they are all the original ones. Your thoughts? Suggestions?

I know that if a person takes a CM871 enigne that is running perfectly fine and puts the fuel return line into a bucket, they will swear that there is air getting into the fuel. - This is simply because normal fuel-vaporizing types of cavitation happen in the return fuel system just past the primary regulator valve and nothing more. - Make sure your not chasing ghosts is all I am saying.

If its sucking enough air for it not to stay running, you will find it easily enough by pressurizing the fuel tanks to about 15 psi or so, and finding the intake leaks that way. Also might want to pressurize the tanks a bit, one at a time w line going into a bucket (checking for air) to ensure a pick-up tube is not cracked at the top.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Shotgun74 , HES
06-11-2019, (Subject: ISX cm2250 injectors? ) 
Cummins has tool to check each drain line. We have them three connected to drain manifold.
One coming from gear pump, one from safety valve and one from injectors drain passage in the head. The tool is like bungee connector bolt with attached clear tube. So you can check all lines.
Most likely air coming from fuel pump gear pump. Don't tell us it's new. We all know about parts quality.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Shotgun74 , Waterloo , HES
06-11-2019, (Subject: ISX cm2250 injectors? ) 
(06-10-2019 )Shotgun74 Wrote:  
(06-10-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would inspect the fuel pump... it sounds like the pump or your ECM took a dump. And what or who programmed that motor? I’m not a mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

Hi Waterloo. I was wondering if the ecm might be playing games as well. It was overhauled & programmed by the man himself Mr. Hagg.

I would lean towards the ECM, easy test, idle the truck and smack the ECM with a rubber mallet, took two smacks on mine to shut the truck down. That is the first thing that came to my mind when reading how your truck was shutting down, as that is how mine behaved when my ECM failed on me the other day. It is fresh in my mind. But again, I am not a mechanic, it could be a few things as we all know. ECM Smack test is quick and easy, and free.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Shotgun74 , HES

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.