Turning my authority back on...
06-15-2019, (Subject: Turning my authority back on... ) 
RE: Turning my authority back on...
(06-14-2019 )Evotrucker Wrote:  I went from making 1k-2.8k a week to $500-$800 a week after all company expenses.... I'm trying to save up enough to get my own authority and just run of DAT load boards. I'm hearing and seeing brokers/trucking companys bitching and moaning about prices BUT! i followed the prices in the mid west, its been $2.10+/- a mile for a long time.... coming from working in the ports for 1.50-1.90 a mile. 2$ at this point is living the high life, this company is great! just not enough work or lanes to work consistently.

Even working at $2 a mile or more is a lot better getting to pick certain lanes and build a reputation with brokers and customers is more appealing to me. One big thing is, i can clearly see what im getting paid vs what im getting told what im getting paid and! i get my detention money and no excuses from the company say the customer hasnt paid yet.... like come on! lol. i also wouldnt have to share that money :P.

I never had any real luck on load boards, but they were in their infancy back then. As far as turning on your authority, call OOIDA. They have a pretty much turnkey solution, right now looking at roughly $1300 to get it all going and be legal with just their cargo insurance, I will keep my bob tail. Granted, you can do the set up for free if you want to take the time and save $200. The only real cost for myself is the $85 fee to turn on my old numbers, but will let them do the rest of the filings and be done with it.

Then the IFTA, I do not believe they handle that, but it is easy to get... Just go to your state website and fill out the forms, they will send you your stickers in a week or two after you get your insurance and are filed with the feds. There should be no charge for the stickers and permit.

And remember, the IFTA filings are quarterly, so you will need to be able to record your miles properly. I still use pen and paper, I do not trust these computers, and if a computer crashes, then what do you do if that data is lost? Have a system that is fool proof and you will be OK when filing and when renewing your base plate.

The one thing they will hit you with is the drug and alcohol program, you must be enrolled in a consortium to be legal. Up here in Michigan, we have Concentra Medical, they have a consortium and it is free to enroll. You may have something like that in your area, no need to pay for something that you do not have too. Call your local DOT pee test clinic and see if they have such a program. Ask if they have a "Drug Consortium", if they have such a program they will know immediately what you are looking for.

I am totally disgusted at what I am seeing out here with these trucking companies. My old company must have been an oddity out here, we were never treated like I have been and seen in the past 6 months. No professionalism in these offices, and totally clueless folks running the dispatch side. The stress and drama is just not worth it. When you wake up pissed off in the morning, before you have had your coffee, it is time to move on.

If you are confident in yourself, I would say go for it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: yetison

Messages In This Thread
RE: Turning my authority back on... - Waterloo - 06-15-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.