Turning my authority back on...
06-17-2019, (Subject: Turning my authority back on... ) 
RE: Turning my authority back on...
(06-17-2019 )dhirocz Wrote:  Been strongly considering this as well. Amazing how one or two bad dispatchers can ruin a company isnt it?
What holds me back is all I know and all Ive ever done is tanker. That and I have nowhere to park a trailer...like you, Id be best power only. It seems I either have to choose to stay out all the time (life wont allow that), run cheap garbage or overweight permitted loads all the time or deal with the stress of crappy dispatchers. 6 months ago, I was absolutely thrilled and consistently made money on my FSC. Now my profit is maybe half of what it was.

Very sad what is allowed to go on in these companies. As far as power only, I think quite a bit will depend on where you are located. Dave at JB Hunt told me stay North, as the rates are much better, high $2.

Now, I have no idea what this JB freight is, 45,000 of beer is not doable with my heavy truck, 43,000 lbs is my cut off, etc... Could all be cheap crap freight for all I know.

But, that friend of my friend, he is hitting everyone, which is what I planned on doing, Schneider, PAM, UPS, FedEx, Amazon, Mercer, CHRW, XPO, Active Aero, etc. They all have an over abundance of trailers vs trucks. Especially when Christmas starts to fire up in September... UPS here I come if they will have me. I know Mercer has told me to call back in September, as they handle these UPS Christmas loads too. Something to look into.

I figure this is where a good load board will come in handy, looking at the DAT Premium, the everything package, $100 a month. Get a load, post the truck as to where I will be and roll. And then we have the tow away, where they pay you $100 - $300 to move the trailer, but you can load it out and use it until they need it. Another option if the trailer is freight worthy and will pass a DOT, lol.

I'm actually finding some stuff out here that looks pretty good. And if you think about it, no trailer expenses, no parking issues, when I dead head I will be bobtail, that is right around 14 +/- mpg right there vs dragging a trailer. Also seeing some dedicated stuff that requires power only that is paying pretty good. Year round freight, bounce in for a month, make bank, go home, come back...

I'll give it a shot, cannot be any worse than this drama. And there is always Menard's, LOL!

As long as I can get a rate to the truck that is $1.70 a mile or more, I am in the money and can do pretty good. Truck is paid for, no trailer expenses, high fuel mileage, and the fuel card offering up to .75 off a gallon. If I cannot do this, there is something wrong with me. Worse case, I go buy a trailer.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Turning my authority back on... - Waterloo - 06-17-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.