Turning my authority back on...
09-13-2019, (Subject: Turning my authority back on... ) 
RE: Turning my authority back on...
Well, been a little over a month now, losing my ass. Up until this past week, I am paying the bills and that is about it. I went and rented a trailer, still on the fence regarding that decision, I kind of want to return it, but then again, I have made money with it. Power Only has been the better avenue, with the best rates to date. I'm in an undisclosed city running primarily Amazon many miles from the house, have been here for a week and FINALLY making some money. I found a truck stop that allows me to drop my trailer, while I go run local PO loads.

The pay has been above average, what I am used to making when expediting, at least for this week which has been pretty good. Things are starting to really hum with the holidays coming up. I am going to hang tight here until the snow flys as long as this work continues. I haven't had a beer in weeks... LOL!

My real issue, and what is holding me back, is this damn ELD. I'm running local, I ran two hours last night, two loads, and then had two loads booked for the afternoon. I had to bug out ten minutes early on my ELD and ten hour break, I'm in violation, but could not be late, I was ten minutes from the DC. I'm losing quite a bit of good paying local work due to this stupid egg timer. It is financially killing me. And don't go all you need your rest BS, I'm only working 4 to 6 hours a day. I get plenty of rest, too much rest.

We shall see how this week finishes out, and how next week goes, have another good paying load tonight, my trailer, 4 to 6 hour turn, roughly 175 miles all in, $801.00. I am still of the belief that power only is the way to go, but when loads like this pop up, I am glad I have the van. Sitting here looking for a load or two I can run this morning, make it a real good day.

Then the rates, the van rates where I am currently located are running .70 to $1.20 a mile. Short haul rates are even more pathetic, not even worth mentioning they are so bad. Criminal what this industry has become, over regulated and no shortage of trucks or drivers, the truck stops out here are full 24/7. I leave here and see the same trucks when I return, very little if any parking after 1400 hours. I don't know how these guys are making it, especially with all of the new equipment I have been seeing.

As far as who is paying, my best rates are still Amazon, with CHR bringing up the rear. If I am not having any luck with Amazon or CH, I try to find local work off the boards and use my trailer or take a reset. Things are looking up, not to the point I need a pair of shades, but getting there. Again, the ELD and the inflexible HOS are the real issue I am having to grapple with. It is fine if you drive long haul, but short haul, you will lose your ass.

I have been looking for outfits to lease on with, as that is what I more than likely will do after the first of the year, or sell the truck and go drive for someone else, the money is just not out here like it used to be and the expenses are ridiculous, just too much to justify the stress and time involved. Trucking honestly sucks.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , DosGatos
I drive ltl long box linehaul at night. All drop and hook. Terminal to terminal. No customers. No bills or transflo. Typical lease on fees. Get an efs card. Can park at the terminals. Most have showers. Paid per mile. Overnight distances are 500-650mi. Extra per mile put on trips under 400mi. Omnitracs. Settlements after fuel, insurance, plates etc avg 2600/wk solo or .84/mi with a california filter truck at 6.5mpg. 3 weeks out, one week home. No glamor, no thinking, no illusions. Truck is paid. I am the wrench. I'm 60. I've been displaced by capitalism before. This work will be first to go with automation but I'll be out before then.

I can't change the world, but I can change my mind. I've had to adjust my expectations in the past and may have to again in the future. I hope you find your way.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
(09-13-2019 )DosGatos Wrote:  I drive ltl long box linehaul at night. All drop and hook. Terminal to terminal. No customers. No bills or transflo. Typical lease on fees. Get an efs card. Can park at the terminals. Most have showers. Paid per mile. Overnight distances are 500-650mi. Extra per mile put on trips under 400mi. Omnitracs. Settlements after fuel, insurance, plates etc avg 2600/wk solo or .84/mi with a california filter truck at 6.5mpg. 3 weeks out, one week home. No glamor, no thinking, no illusions. Truck is paid. I am the wrench. I'm 60. I've been displaced by capitalism before. This work will be first to go with automation but I'll be out before then.

I can't change the world, but I can change my mind. I've had to adjust my expectations in the past and may have to again in the future. I hope you find your way.

PM me the name of this outfit, I'm interested.
replyreply
Message failure. PM's are full.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
(09-13-2019 )DosGatos Wrote:  Message failure. PM's are full.

LOL! Not again! I'll clean it up.
replyreply
yeeeeash ill stick with my flatbed current load Omaha NE to just south a dallas 1800 bucks for 722 miles. averaging 3000-3500 after fuel/expenses with a 4.8mpg truck bout 2200-2500miles a week home every weekend cept this one cause im greedy and wanted the extra couple grand. ied be belly up with those rates not cool at all.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
09-14-2019, (Subject: Turning my authority back on... ) 
Yep, flatbed is a different animal, no argument there.
replyreply
09-15-2019, (Subject: Turning my authority back on... ) 
(09-13-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  yeeeeash ill stick with my flatbed current load Omaha NE to just south a dallas 1800 bucks for 722 miles. averaging 3000-3500 after fuel/expenses with a 4.8mpg truck bout 2200-2500miles a week home every weekend cept this one cause im greedy and wanted the extra couple grand. ied be belly up with those rates not cool at all.

this is about what i do with a cold box 3000-3500 after fuel and ins (When i make it a full week with out breaking down but rawze is helping me change that) and the market is in a bad way at the moment
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
09-15-2019, (Subject: Turning my authority back on... ) 
ive been lucky only had 1 breakdown in a year that was last month when my fan hub bearing went out thankfully while sitting idling at a receiver instead of 1500-1600RPM on the road.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.