Chasing a clutch or an injector ?
06-26-2019, (Subject: Chasing a clutch or an injector ? ) 
Chasing a clutch or an injector ?
Hello Everyone , I have an 870 with some power . I haul around the maximum for 5 to 6 axles.I have some significant short hills being in New England. I have been trying to put my finger on an issue I am having going up a certain hill with a load from a dead stop . I was thinking I might have an injector slightly off . I took it to the shop , they looked at a few things , just really didn't see anything that drew much attention . The dang thing just runs too good most of the time anyway . 21,000 hours but I don't know much history . 410 on the odometer . It had the head done at 320k . Anyway , I picked this thing up last fall , through some money at it , king pins , tires , idler pulleys , battery cables, windshield , ect. Its got an 18 speed b in there with a 560 . I have been having a issue with the clutch , press it down , feels like its getting hung up .It is becoming more prominent. Doesn't slip. Sometimes press it down , its perfect then its back harder or feels like getting hung up . I am gonna spray the linkage tomorrow with penetrating oil , but something tells me the injector I thought could be is the clutch . I had something like this go before on another . I am thinking the springs in the clutch are failing and causing this . Has anyone else had this problem ? When I looked this truck over last year clutch looked recent , I could see the green/yellow paint on the springs on the clutch. It just did not look that old . I am wondering who's got a heavy duty clutch and what I am gonna spend to do the job . I think that injector is gonna be that clutch . Any thoughts would be appreciated .
replyreply
06-26-2019, (Subject: Chasing a clutch or an injector ? ) 
RE: Chasing a clutch or an injector ?
If your running high hp and heavy it’s likely that your input shaft on transmission has a groove wore in it.
replyreply
06-27-2019, (Subject: Chasing a clutch or an injector ? ) 
RE: Chasing a clutch or an injector ?
You're far too vague on details to support or discredit any injector issues.

The bits of pedal reaction issues you describe, sound distinctly like a broken spring in the clutch to me. Paint on the clutch springs is meaningless, I've seen plenty of broken springs with paint still on them.
Try greasing the release bearing, they usually get neglected and it may just have dried crud instead of good grease in it?
Clutch choices are the atypical Eaton EasyPedal, which can handle the torque output of a 560hp just fine.
A Heavy Duty option is a Lipe 1, but it will take some getting used to as it is a direct clutch as opposed to the Eaton. They are a little harder "push & hold" than an Eaton, and they engage more aggressively. If you don't like always starting in low gear and finessing the clutch pedal, it's not a good choice.
*note* in my opinion heavy starts at over 150,000lbs, so the Lipe is rarely my advised option, but you asked.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.