Front axle hub bearings and race service ability
06-28-2019, (Subject: Front axle hub bearings and race service ability ) 
Video Front axle hub bearings and race service ability
Can the bearings and races be serviced on a 2010 prostar with meritor 12k axle, aluminum hubs and oil bath bearings. Dealership says no....once you knock out old races its junk.... I think bullshit!
replyreply
RE: Front axle hub bearings and race service ability
I cant imagine why they wouldnt be servicable
replyreply
Stealership says because hub is aluminum...like wth does that matter?
replyreply
I could understand the hub possibly galling pushing the old races out, or something they aren't willing to attempt. I was going after my bearings on mine with aluminum hubs to address a wobble until we found the hub pilot steps were ruined from a drum being gorrilla'd on causing my out of round.....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
(06-28-2019 )Daytripper Wrote:  Can the bearings and races be serviced on a 2010 prostar with meritor 12k axle, aluminum hubs and oil bath bearings. Dealership says no....once you knock out old races its junk.... I think bullshit!

why not just look up the service manual for the axle....
google search: http://graphicvillage.org/meritor/@m*m^2.pdf

If it is an MFS series, the hub is considered "unitized" ans is a single replacement part. This does not mean you can't replace the bearings inside it yourself, but the official manual says replace the whole thing (page 28), so the stealershit is correct in their assessment if this is the case.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I have a wobble...can actually feel the truck wobble at low speeds... What puzzles me is it almost goes away when I'm loaded...and is worse pulling empty trailer.
replyreply
(06-28-2019 )Daytripper Wrote:  I have a wobble...can actually feel the truck wobble at low speeds... What puzzles me is it almost goes away when I'm loaded...and is worse pulling empty trailer.

follow the service manual, grab a dial indicator, and see if all the components are in spec... don't guess at it like a stupid shop would do.

steering axles are nothing to play with or guess at... they kill people when someone makes a mistake or does not use a proper torque wrench on them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87
06-29-2019, (Subject: Front axle hub bearings and race service ability ) 
Quite a few things can cause that wobble, not just wheel bearings. Kingpins, bearings, tie rod ends, drive shafts or just damn tire out of balance
replyreply
06-29-2019, (Subject: Front axle hub bearings and race service ability ) 
This doesn't negate checking the steer axle thoroughly with, as Rawze mentioned, a dial indicator. But also check your drive axle wheels the same as your steer. Drive wobbles can easily transfer into steering wobbles, especially at low speeds. And don't over look the KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid, method. Make sure your 5th wheel is greased. It will pop and stutter especially at low speeds if its dry.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.