Coolant stop leak??
05-27-2016, (Subject: Coolant stop leak?? ) 
Coolant stop leak??
Hi drivers!
I have a tiny leak of coolant from my radiator. I am thinking, to use or not to use a stop leak aid. If to use, which one is good and less harmful. If not, beside the plugging of the system, can you explain why not?
Thx!
replyreply
RE: Coolant stop leak??
Depends on where the leak is. If it's a header gasket, where the tank meets the actual radiator, GM used to use kind of a powdered wood. They also come as compressed tablets. Will work great without plugging anything else. Most car manufacturers actually use something like it in all new cars. You should be able to get it at any auto parts store. DO NOT USE BARRS STOP LEAK in any form.

One other thing you can try really cheap is pepper. Don't laugh, I've seen it work.

If it's the actual tank, you'll probably be buying a radiator or at very least the tank.

If the core is leaking, it may be able to be repaired. There's kind of a plastic weld that'll work. Just requires the system be drained below the leak, cleaned and a light duty torch with a light touch.
replyreply
please do not put stop leak in your engine - it is cooling system death.

pepper works in a pinch
replyreply
05-28-2016, (Subject: Coolant stop leak?? ) 
For a car, or a shi#t truck no one cares about,.. stop leak will work,.. but something you have to make your living with, and rely on every day,... BAD IDEA -- PERIOD!

Take it apart and fix the problem or replace the component. 99% of the time, the first signs of leaking from a radiator etc. are the first signs that your bushings are shot or rusted through,.. and or there are bigger problems to come.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-29-2016, (Subject: Coolant stop leak?? ) 
I used a few bottles of it when my egr cooler started leaking. Next winter I had no heat! Didn't slow the egr cooler much at all; completely choked the heater core.
replyreply
05-29-2016, (Subject: Coolant stop leak?? ) 
After having multiple coolant issues with my own truck, which is now fixed, I would replace or repair the radiator properly if it can be done. No way would I take a chance on putting anything off the shelf in that motor to stop that leak, I have seen others do it with disastrous results. Fix it right the first time and be done with it.
replyreply
06-08-2016, (Subject: Coolant stop leak?? ) 
thx folks!! will see how it goes. it doesnt bother me now, cause its leaking once in a while. so until it will leak considerably, ill keep driving it and pay a closer attention to the thing.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.