ISX Rocker Shafts
07-04-2019, (Subject: ISX Rocker Shafts ) 
ISX Rocker Shafts
Gents,

Might be pulling the valve cover off this weekend and doing another overhead adjustment/checking cam etc. I would like to know what signs show worn rocker shafts without pulling the entire assembly off?

Both trucks running well no leaky injectors, don’t burn oil or lose coolant, visually no blow by either only thing that bothers me is abit of a squeaky/ticking sound that can be heard once the compressor stops running. Do all CM871 sound like that? Both of them do it! Sounds like it’s coming from the actuators, did pull one of the fuel ones apart when I was doing the leak down test and it looked clean, otherwise been happy with how they are running.

Cheerssss
replyreply
RE: ISX Rocker Shafts
Generally the rocker shafts themselves won't be worn. The rollers going to the cams will be what shows signs of scarring, pitting, scrapes and scores. Looking like this.
./uploads/201907/post_3285_1562229237_7b427a0b766e1928c15164f0862f79a9.jpg
./uploads/201907/post_3285_1562229260_e0d348446dc25e342de51bd3bf3a006b.jpeg
And the roller will show the same type of wear.
./uploads/201907/post_3285_1562229579_49412af031b7236eb29412719f54ff97.jpg

Just give all components a thorough look over while your barring the engine over for each adjustment. But really, if you're thinking other parts may be shot, why not just unbolt the rocker set and check it out? Your already adjusting the valves. All you need to do is unbolt them. Then torque them back down after inspection.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: multitask
The main sign of worn rocker shafts is a rattle/slapping sound in the overhead after the engine brakes are turned off. When the cover is off, rotate the engine brake levers back and forth to make sure they locate firmly in their neutral position - If they don't, then the weren't pocket in the shaft will probably be elongated.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: multitask , Rawze , redbeard
Thanks for the info guys
replyreply
(07-04-2019 )Signature620 Wrote:  The main sign of worn rocker shafts is a rattle/slapping sound in the overhead after the engine brakes are turned off. When the cover is off, rotate the engine brake levers back and forth to make sure they locate firmly in their neutral position - If they don't, then the weren't pocket in the shaft will probably be elongated.

If the jake rockers don’t snap into their resting position as Signature620 stated, then the shafts need to be replaced, however DON’T just change the shafts, also change the check valves and springs in the jake rockers, as the valves will be worn round instead of tapered and the springs are small and weaken over time.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Pigpen 2869 , multitask , Signature620

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.