Brake chambers, the in's and out's
07-07-2019, (Subject: Brake chambers, the in's and out's ) 
Brake chambers, the in's and out's
I want to share my small experience on replacing a brake chamber that went out on me 2 days before the 4th.

Called volvo the following morning, gave them the last 6 of the vin. Parts girl said she would have everything ready for me in couple of hours. Called couple of hours later, everything was ready. Ran to volvo, trying to beat the real storm coming since it was drizzling all day but i was hoping i can get the prep work done before the real rain came down lol. noop shi#t out of luck.

on the 4th, i got under the truck and finished the job. But not before having to put on the chamber and taking it of to readjust it a dozen times or more lol. After really inspecting the old chamber, i saw that old one is a 3 inch stroke and new one is a 2.5 inch stroke. NICE!! lol.... fml..

So i ended up getting a good deal from volvo for $250 for all the brake chambers, from front to rear. I know, i cant mix and match them. So what else would i have to change if i changed from a 3 inch stroke to a 2.5 inch stroke? what are the differences between the two?

Also if you guys could share your hard earned wisdom on an easier way to change them? do you have a particular way of starting a small job like this? What are some things to definitely do once replacing brake chambers?

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
RE: Brake chambers, the in's and out's
You don't want to change from 3" to 2.5". Long stroke chambers provide far better braking and less fade.Return the 2.5 and get 3's.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker , Sergiu
Also dot has a different set of out of adjustment measurements for short or long stoke. Long stoke is more forgiving on the out of adjustment spec.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker
07-08-2019, (Subject: Brake chambers, the in's and out's ) 
I might be wrong but aren't the s-cams and slack adjusters different between 2.5 and 3-inch stroke?
replyreply
(07-07-2019 )Magard Wrote:  Also dot has a different set of out of adjustment measurements for short or long stoke. Long stoke is more forgiving on the out of adjustment spec.

I'm not sure this is correct. I could be wrong and correct me if I am, but I do know they have different standards between chamber size. But stroke length shouldn't affect what the shoe to drum tolerance is.

I had type 20 (smaller size than standard type 30) chambers on the steer axle on a Volvo and just before a road side inspection I adjusted them all the same as I always did and... Nope, I was wrong. He even showed me the law in the book. "Here's your $181 fine, and you are out of service. Fix it before you move it. Have a good day."
replyreply
My brake chambers are all Haldex...

Whenever I changed mine, I just replace them with the same exact brand and original part# and get them from a supplier/certified distributor. All the places I go to are like "you sure you don't want to save 10 bucks and buy the el-knock-off's?" -- and I am like,.. NOPE!-- I AM NOT GOING TO FIGHT WITH PUTTING THEM ON AND HAVING TO ADJUST THINGS!. I want them as plug-and-play as possible,.. especially since the last set lasted me more than 900,000 miles.

Every brake chamber I have replaced,.. I just stuck it on and it just simply worked. I did however make sure before installing it that I measured the distance between the keeper pin hole at the end of the rod (when fully extended) and the face of the chamber. - The new ones I have gotten so far have always simply matched the length of the old ones. If they did not, then I would have simply made them the same before installing it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , Waterloo , Evotrucker , Volvo8873
https://www.smartdrivetest.com/air-brake...ent-limits
https://cvsa.org/wp-content/uploads/FMCS...-101-1.pdf
There is a difference between long stroke and short stroke legal allowable limits.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Chamberpains , Evotrucker , Waterloo , ZeroNthedark
Thanks Magard, at least being wrong this time didn't cost me $181 per out of adjustment chamber.
replyreply
so i'm back after being in the shop. all of the brake chambers except the ones in the front were mixed up between 2.5 n 3 inch 30/30 chambers.... lol... someone didnt give a flying hoot what kind went on the truck i guess.

So volvo didnt have any 3 inch 30/30 brake chambers so i got the house brand " road choice ". Hopefully these will last longer then the old ones

While the mechanic was taking of the brake chambers 2 out 4 slack adjusters had bad bushings on them so i got 4 new ones from fleet pride and had them replaced also.

On my way back home, got brake checked by an idiot who was looking on his phone. lol.... fucking idiot. before if i applied a good amount of pressure to the brakes the tires would skip n jump. Not this time, they were firm and had a ton of grip.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Volvo8873 , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.