Thermo King Help
05-28-2016, (Subject: Thermo King Help ) 
Thermo King Help
Does anyone know the procedures for recharging the refrigerant in a SB210 Thermo King Reefer Unit. I have the tools and the R404a refrigerant. Just not sure which ports to connect too or if the unit should be running or not while recharging the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
replyreply
05-28-2016, (Subject: Thermo King Help ) 
RE: Thermo King Help
connect gauges to the unit (suction side service valve on top of compressor, high side on discharge where the small discharge vibe meets the compressor). take the caps off the service valves and screw the stems in about 3 turns. DO NOT BOTTOM THE STEMS OUT.

hook up vac pump and pull a deep vacuum. you have to power the unit on and set it to vac mode(opens all the solenoid valves to allow it to vac properly)

close system and let sit - watch gauges for leaks.

shut vac mode off, and hook up refrigerant bottle. Purge air from the charging line. you want to charge LIQUID, not vapor. this is the blue knob. Set scale to 0 and dump in 4 lbs with the unit off.

stop adding refridge and start unit - set it at max cooling and the lowest temp. make sure it shifts to high rpm and start slowly adding liquid through the low side suction line. do not exceed about 50 psi on the suction side, you will flood the compressor and you will hear the valve plates in the head start clacking. take your time with this.

keep adding until you hit 20lbs. then on the far drivers side of the unit there is a big black vertical tank near the back. near the bottom of it it has a sight glass with a white ball in it. Keep charging until this ball just starts to float - you will see the liquid refrigerant level rise up in it and the ball will float. stop and the unit is full.

shut unit off and back out service valve stems fully. replace service valve caps and remove gauges.

all done!
replyreply
05-29-2016, (Subject: Thermo King Help ) 
(05-28-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  connect gauges to the unit (suction side service valve on top of compressor, high side on discharge where the small discharge vibe meets the compressor). take the caps off the service valves and screw the stems in about 3 turns. DO NOT BOTTOM THE STEMS OUT.

hook up vac pump and pull a deep vacuum. you have to power the unit on and set it to vac mode(opens all the solenoid valves to allow it to vac properly)

shut vac mode off, and hook up refrigerant bottle. Purge air from the charging line. you want to charge LIQUID, not vapor. this is the blue knob. Set scale to 0 and dump in 4 lbs with the unit off.

stop adding refridge and start unit - set it at max cooling and the lowest temp. make sure it shifts to high rpm and start slowly adding liquid through the low side suction line. do not exceed about 50 psi on the suction side, you will flood the compressor and you will hear the valve plates in the head start clacking. take your time with this.

keep adding until you hit 20lbs. then on the far drivers side of the unit there is a big black vertical tank near the back. near the bottom of it it has a sight glass with a white ball in it. Keep charging until this ball just starts to float - you will see the liquid refrigerant level rise up in it and the ball will float. stop and the unit is full.

shut unit off and back out service valve stems fully. replace service valve caps and remove gauges.

all done!
Unilevers I've attached a photo of my compressor with colored arrows. Can you tell me which ports i will be using. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right. Also I toggled thru the key pad and did not see a vac mode. Is there something else I need to do to put it in vac mode.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201605/post_127_1464497435_86a8477dd10f6ac4a40cefd593a99444.jpg
replyreply
(05-29-2016 )ashdan2010 Wrote:  
(05-28-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  connect gauges to the unit (suction side service valve on top of compressor, high side on discharge where the small discharge vibe meets the compressor). take the caps off the service valves and screw the stems in about 3 turns. DO NOT BOTTOM THE STEMS OUT.

all done!
Unilevers I've attached a photo of my compressor with colored arrows. Can you tell me which ports i will be using. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right. Also I toggled thru the key pad and did not see a vac mode. Is there something else I need to do to put it in vac mode.

blue is high side/discharge, red is low side/suction.

it has been awhile since i had to put one in vac mode - i believe on a SR2 control you hit the menu button and the blank spot button at the same time and hold and it goes to a configuration mode where one of the options is evac mode. ill look it up and let ya know. if its a older model you hit the TK symbol and the up arrow at the same time to get to config mode.
replyreply
It's a 2007 SB210. I think your right on pressing on the blank spot and menu. I remember reading that somewhere. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you unilevers for all your help.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.