Glider with a different engine
07-18-2019, (Subject: Glider with a different engine ) 
Glider with a different engine
Looking at possibly buying a friends truck. It’s a 2014 Fitzgerald glider which came with a 12.7 litre Detroit. In 2018 he bought a brand new series 60-14 litre from Detroit and had it installed.
My question is will that engine having a 2018 serial number ever be a problem as far as emissions go? He says he just claims it’s a 12.7 pre emissions model if asked.
replyreply
RE: Glider with a different engine
As far as I know the engine emissions standard is tied to the year that the engine was originally manufactured at regardless of the remanufactured date.
replyreply
Where did the other/original glider engine go?
The number of people who can actually identify a specific engine visually is extremely small, so with that said put the valve cover of the 12.7l S60 on the 14l motor. Yes it will fit.
Why the valve cover?
Because that is where the ESN & Data Plate are affixed.
Highly unlikely anyone who is any enforcement or ??? would ever realize. Just make sure you KNOW the correct ESN to give to anyone doing any kind of work on your engine to make sure the specifically correct parts get used.
Case in point, I have a used rocker cover because I damaged my original. The cover comes from a CM2250 450ST. I took it to an Edmonton based very well known diesel shop for a Dyno run for help to diagnose a knock only made under power. Unless on a Dyno under load with the truck stationary there was no way to pinpoint the sound to even know where to start looking, other than "under da hood dude".
I didn't tell them my ESN, because all I wanted was a load placed on the engine to pinpoint the sound. They weren't fixing it regardless, just let me find the mysterious knock. They were curious about the tune because they were smart enough to recognize audibly that the engine has been demandated. So they pulled it, to create the knock and satisfy their curiosity. They couldn't believe that I had >550hp on the ground out of a 450ST!
Duh, it's also not a common rail engine? Why would you even think that ESN is correct?
Two of them were blown away, another looked at it, smiled and asked me "what is it really?" Its's a CM871 550/1850 with a massaged @m*m^2.
Point is, almost nobody will know that what's under the rocker cover isn't necessarily what's ON the rocker cover.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Mrkentee , Waterloo
(07-18-2019 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Looking at possibly buying a friends truck. It’s a 2014 Fitzgerald glider which came with a 12.7 litre Detroit. In 2018 he bought a brand new series 60-14 litre from Detroit and had it installed.
My question is will that engine having a 2018 serial number ever be a problem as far as emissions go? He says he just claims it’s a 12.7 pre emissions model if asked.

New or rebuilt? Just curious what did the engine cost
replyreply
(07-18-2019 )ahm700 Wrote:  
(07-18-2019 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Looking at possibly buying a friends truck. It’s a 2014 Fitzgerald glider which came with a 12.7 litre Detroit. In 2018 he bought a brand new series 60-14 litre from Detroit and had it installed.

He said the engine was 25 grand. New.
replyreply
(07-18-2019 )Mrkentee Wrote:  
(07-18-2019 )ahm700 Wrote:  

He said the engine was 25 grand.

your friend made a smart move... fits can't build an engine worth a damn,,.. and they certainly can't tune one. They sell nothing but junk-yard thrown together crap of engines.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee , Waterloo , Pd6cas2
(07-18-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  your friend made a smart move... fits can't build an engine worth a damn,,.. and they certainly can't tune one. They sell nothing but junk-yard thrown together crap of engines.

He had a lot of problems with the original one. He got fed up and got a new one.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.