870 2006 fuel lift pump
07-11-2019, (Subject: 870 2006 fuel lift pump ) 
RE: 870 2006 fuel lift pump
(07-11-2019 )akwman Wrote:  I am fairly sure something is telling this thing to shut down .I gave it some shots of either , against my religion .. something is definitely telling it not to run .I am really puzzled .

before replacing the ecm, I would have also removed the guts from the shutoff solenoid then re-install its housing, tried that before resorting to ecm replacement. Just keep in mind that whatever a person does, they should never try to put +12v on the shutoff solenoid when the ECM wire also connected to it,.. as it will damage the ecm's internal circuits.

Personally so far though, from all things described, my finger still points towards the gear pump if the electric pump is running ok and not sucking any air. Especially if the engine was running ok before its replacement. -- but you never know. ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid39504

hopefully you will find it soon and let everyone else know what it was so that the next person that has to read this thread can save themselves some grief.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
If 200 psi is all your getting for fuel pressure it's quite low. As there are 2 regulators I can't remember what their ratings are but I think one is around 300 and the other is around 275. the shaft on your gear pump could have broke but it's catching for a short. Until it loses that catch and the truck shuts down. you would be able to see this in insight or with some type of gauge as the fuel pressure would fall off and then the truck would die.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
New selinoid installed guts cleaned / new seals . Did that today .
replyreply
07-12-2019, (Subject: 870 2006 fuel lift pump ) 
You could've saved the $$ on the turbo parts. Dealershits love to sell you parts you don't need. They couldn't care less if they give you bad advise or help you run down a bad diagnostic route. That's money in the bank for them. It helps hit the sales quota. Their advise is almost always the most expensive and almost always wrong.

You can manually move the actuator and turbo VG ring with a wrench. You would've felt it sticking. I can't say I've ever heard of an actuator control module failing so bad it wouldn't let the truck run at idle. If your using Insite it has an actuator on off test also. That would allow you to check the piping to the turbo actuator while your at it.

Rawze pointed out the shut off solenoid. That's a good place to look along with the wiring to it. It'll sometimes fail without a code. And Lonestar10 is describing the exact failure of a couple people on here. I think Evotrucker was one of them. I'd look in to that also. 200 psi isn't enough to keep the truck running.

You could still be looking at an ECM problem but you have other cheaper avenues to run down 1st. If there is no clear path to the problem, you almost always start by running through and testing ALL your cheaper avenue's and parts 1st.
Have you looked at quickserve and gone thru the troubleshooting tree for cranking but won't start?
replyreply
(07-12-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You could've saved the $$ on the turbo parts. Dealershits love to sell you parts you don't need. They couldn't care less if they give you bad advise or help you run down a bad diagnostic route. That's money in the bank for them. It helps hit the sales quota. Their advise is almost always the most expensive and almost always wrong.

You can manually move the actuator and turbo VG ring with a wrench. You would've felt it sticking. I can't say I've ever heard of an actuator control module failing so bad it wouldn't let the truck run at idle. If your using Insite it has an actuator on off test also. That would allow you to check the piping to the turbo actuator while your at it.

Rawze pointed out the shut off solenoid. That's a good place to look along with the wiring to it. It'll sometimes fail without a code. And Lonestar10 is describing the exact failure of a couple people on here. I think Evotrucker was one of them. I'd look in to that also. 200 psi isn't enough to keep the truck running.

You could still be looking at an ECM problem but you have other cheaper avenues to run down 1st. If there is no clear path to the problem, you almost always start by running through and testing ALL your cheaper avenue's and parts 1st.
Have you looked at quickserve and gone thru the troubleshooting tree for cranking but won't start?
I changed out the solenoid , I will do the gear pump anyway today. 200psi at cranking , I was reading that was ok . Then if that aint it , ecm it looks original with 20khours on it and its from 07.
replyreply
(07-12-2019 )akwman Wrote:  
(07-12-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You could've saved the $$ on the turbo parts. Dealershits love to sell you parts you don't need. They couldn't care less if they give you bad advise or help you run down a bad diagnostic route. That's money in the bank for them. It helps hit the sales quota. Their advise is almost always the most expensive and almost always wrong.

I changed out the solenoid , I will do the gear pump anyway today. 200psi at cranking , I was reading that was ok . Then if that aint it , ecm it looks original with 20khours on it and its from 07.

I changed out the gear pump , now there is no power going to the lift pump . I borrowed an ecm of another 870 I have . Nope no power . I checked the fuse , looks okay . Like new I am stumped .
replyreply
07-13-2019, (Subject: 870 2006 fuel lift pump ) 
What make and manufacturer truck is this?
replyreply
If I recall correctly there is also a lift pump relay close to the fuse that could be failing.
replyreply
(07-13-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  What make and manufacturer truck is this?

Kenworth t800 b with an 870
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.