Drive tire rotation
07-10-2019, (Subject: Drive tire rotation ) 
Drive tire rotation
I replaced my drive tires about 30k ago...and they are starting to chop a little...truck has 660k and I'm wondering if this is normal or am I due for a re-bushing job....I just had a alignment at the time I put the new drives on. I rotate my drives every 30k... any suggestions?
replyreply
07-10-2019, (Subject: Drive tire rotation ) 
RE: Drive tire rotation
Check alignment, tire pressure, bushings, u bolts and the always neglected torque on the wheel bearings.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
07-11-2019, (Subject: Drive tire rotation ) 
99% of the time you get inside edge only wear its wheel bearings that are loose. If it's diagonal across the tire it's a suspension issue.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Creek , rrod
(07-10-2019 )Daytripper Wrote:  I replaced my drive tires about 30k ago...and they are starting to chop a little...truck has 660k and I'm wondering if this is normal or am I due for a re-bushing job....I just had a alignment at the time I put the new drives on. I rotate my drives every 30k... any suggestions?

Personally I don't rotate tires -- ever.

-- The reason. is that I want to see where the excess wear is coming from and actually fix the underlying issues.

My drive tires stay in the same place on the axles for 400,000+ miles at a time,.. and I have never had to rotate them. If I saw wear setting in that was not normal, then I will simply fix the problem with the axle instead of trying to mask it... problems only get worse, not netter,.. trucks do not heal like people do.

--Take pictures of the wear and post them here,.. for all you know, it could be your driving habits creating the problem.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

replyreply
Closed shoulder recaps(dont fry me...lol. all of our company trucks use these without any issues) front of the tread block seems a bit higher than the following block....the edge of tire is smooth but center tread blocks are chopped.....
Seems if you cant figure stuff out on your own the shitty shops don't have a nickle in your truck and could care less other than to hang parts on your truck in an attempt to diagnosis the issue... I'm done throwing money away...work too damn hard to get it and want to make my investment last as long as possible.
replyreply
(07-11-2019 )Daytripper Wrote:  Closed shoulder recaps(dont fry me...lol. all of our company trucks use these without any issues) front of the tread block seems a bit higher than the following block....the edge of tire is smooth but center tread blocks are chopped.....
Seems if you cant figure stuff out on your own the shitty shops don't have a nickle in your truck and could care less other than to hang parts on your truck in an attempt to diagnosis the issue... I'm done throwing money away...work too damn hard to get it and want to make my investment last as long as possible.

That problem is directly related to how far your putting your foot into the fuel pedal and nothing else whatsoever. Especially if it is a random-ish type of "one odd, sharp-faced lug out of every so many lugs" kind of thing.

It is usually the most prevalent on the passenger front drive axle, and on the drivers rear one. This is because as the axle loads up with heavy torque, those are the two places that have the most twist in them.

There is no telling how many times I have climbed grapevine, or any other poorly maintained steep incline road, all the trucks passing me because they have their foot planted all the way to the goddamn floor,.. Literally, I see chunks of rubber flying off their drive tires because the morons have no clue that the rough, bumpy pavement of grapevine makes their tires bounce and throw rubber like mad,.. that odd, sharp-faced lug wear pattern is directly the result!.

keep your damn foot out of it and it will not be so bad. That is not alignment issues. that is not shock issues,.. that is driver issues!

-- i can walk across a truck-stop parking lot and tell you how people drive and/or abuse their trucks just by looking at their tires.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos , Magard
I drive up and down the north east extension of 476 and they have 'patched' the road straight across and basically made small speed bumps....I drive the left lane all the way up from exit 74 to avoid the shitty road that we get the pleasure to pay to drive on...

My backhaul is usually 10k or less or empty trailer...think that may have something to do with this wear pattern? I don't go over 70mph...will try backing out of the throttle some...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard
(07-11-2019 )Daytripper Wrote:  I drive up and down the north east extension of 476 and they have 'patched' the road straight across and basically made small speed bumps....I drive the left lane all the way up from exit 74 to avoid the shitty road that we get the pleasure to pay to drive on...

My backhaul is usually 10k or less or empty trailer...think that may have something to do with this wear pattern? I don't go over 70mph...will try backing out of the throttle some...

try keeping boost under 20 psi,.. use higher rpm in the engine so you don;t have to use so much torque,.. and SLOW THE HELL DOWN TO 58-60*~ISH AVERAGE!!!!!!!! and maybe,.. just maybe you will start making money without beating the hell out of your equipment and killing your fuel mileage. -- its your wallet that is clearly suffering the most due to bad company-driver gotta go fast mentality.

if you don't,.. some mega-fleet is going to come along and steal your customers out from under you, under-cut your prices by a large margin, and put you out of business one day because you can;t figure out how to run your truck for less money that they do.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , Magard

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.