ECM at startup, Peterbilt 579
07-14-2019, (Subject: ECM at startup, Peterbilt 579 ) 
ECM at startup, Peterbilt 579
Hello,

I have a brand new Peterbilt 579 and a friend of mine says not to just start it but to wait until the engine light goes out because somehow that screws up the ECM.

I had a problem with my AC not turning on the other day and I tried that and it actually worked.

What is the deal with waiting to start a after turning the key on?

Has anyone heard of this?

Thank you!
replyreply
RE: ECM at startup, Peterbilt 579
because it gives all the secondary systems a chance to do all their self-checks and establish communications to the ecm+cab controller without all the crazy strong voltage spikes off the starter due to cranking getting in the way.

these things aren't your grandma's 1970's station wagon,.. there are more computers and safety systems that need to boot up, than carter has liver pillz any more on these newer trucks.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Signature620
(07-14-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  there are more computers and safety systems that need to boot up, than carter has liver pillz
Carter has liver pills??
Gotta ask, where did you pull that saying from? Im hoping its a southern thing.
replyreply
(07-14-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  
(07-14-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  there are more computers and safety systems that need to boot up, than carter has liver pillz
Carter has liver pills??
Gotta ask, where did you pull that saying from? Im hoping its a southern thing.

You have to be old enough to appreciate that one. I am sure Hhow55 would be laughing right now.lol

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
Yes, indeed. I'm laughing.
Another remedy was fletchers castoria

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , snailexpress
Freightliners with detroits can do this to. they say to wait till the gauges do their full reset sweep then start. and i have had the engine throw funky CELs that after 1 shutdown and restart cant be found when scanned for when just turning the key on and cranking right up when i drove one.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.