Truck shut off
07-18-2019, (Subject: Truck shut off ) 
Truck shut off
Exiting Rt.81 yesterday ...after going thru a rough patch of road the truck shut off...I coasted to the shoulder...noticed dash flashing "low coolant"..checked under hood , no leaks, coolant full, sensor not unplugged, wiring seems ok..no corrosion, no break in the wires...??? Think I should pick up a new sensor.. Truck started right back up but it sounded like the computer shut off the fuel as it was idling rough for a second or two(which the ecm would do if it detected a low coolant situation?) Ran truck rear of the day with no issue...any ideas?
replyreply
RE: Truck shut off
If it was really rough and your truck doesn't use a low coolant level module, then the coolant might've splashed away from the sensor for a moment.
replyreply
That's what I was thinking...
replyreply
Also, for future reference: If it is derating or shutting down on low coolant faults but the header tank is actually full - Unplug the sensor. You'll have an active voltage fault but no shutdowns or derates will get in your way.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
What year and make of truck? a lot of shut down codes won't shut the truck off immediately. It will usually flash for a few seconds then shut the truck down.

In order to get the situation that signature is describing it would have to be throw you out of your seat rough roads to splash the coolant far enough away from the sensor long enough to throw a shutdown code.

I would be keeping a watchful eye for this to happen again. Probably bad wiring rubbing somewhere, possibly a faulty ECM, or something that just does not like hard sharp bounces. That's not to say that signature is incorrect but I would definitely be prepared for it to happen again. Or digging deeper to ensure it's not what I mentioned.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Techmech
(07-18-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  What year and make of truck? a lot of shut down codes won't shut the truck off immediately. It will usually flash for a few seconds then shut the truck down.

In order to get the situation that signature is describing it would have to be throw you out of your seat rough roads to splash the coolant far enough away from the sensor long enough to throw a shutdown code.

I would be keeping a watchful eye for this to happen again. Probably bad wiring rubbing somewhere, possibly a faulty ECM, or something that just does not like hard sharp bounces. That's not to say that signature is incorrect but I would definitely be prepared for it to happen again. Or digging deeper to ensure it's not what I mentioned.

2010 prostar isx450 cm871
replyreply
Should have my inline 6 in a week so I'll be able to actually see what is going on.
replyreply
Check battery cables and wire to ECM. Are your batteries secure in the box?
replyreply
how come that vibe of thinking "he likely has bigger issues" comes to mind.

I own a prostar, it has never had a low coolant code for going over rough terrain. There are horizontal dividers in the tank to prevent this kind of stuff.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver , Waterloo , Techmech

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.