Coolant in secondary filter ISX 2013 485 HP
07-21-2019, (Subject: Coolant in secondary filter ISX 2013 485 HP ) 
Coolant in secondary filter ISX 2013 485 HP
Hi I needed some advice. I have a 485 HP ISX that has coolant slowly appearing in the secondary fuel filter.

I did some research online and found a repair by Cummins to fix the injector cup.

Or second the entire engine head needs to be replaced or repaired

The truck has 630,000 Miles.
replyreply
RE: Coolant in secondary filter ISX 2013 485 HP
Time for an inframe more than likely. Don't let someone talk you into re using that head if it ends up having to come off.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
If it's a cm2250 or 2350, Cummins have had success in most cases with their injector sleeve inserts. Shouldn't take them any more than 1 day to do the job.
replyreply
Okay I saw this video on YouTube

https://youtu.be/JKonlj4xMm0

I will have to do it myself because Cummins can’t help me. My second second would be if I pulled all the injectors could I not pressure the coolant system and see which one leaks and only repair that injector cup with ring insert?
replyreply
I would not recommend pressurizing the coolant system with the injectors out unless you simply cannot find the problem without pressurizing it ...

Even so, if you apply more than about 5 lbs of pressure to the coolant system with the injectors out, you may cause additional cup failure(s) where there were none.

I have even seen older manuals for the ISX that stated to pull a light-to-medium vacuum on the coolant system before removing injectors on engines with high run time on them to prevent the cups sticking to a dirty injector tip and getting un-seated / becoming leaky.

just some info on the subject anyways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(07-21-2019 )Shokar92 Wrote:  Okay I saw this video on YouTube

https://youtu.be/JKonlj4xMm0

I will have to do it myself because Cummins can’t help me. My second second would be if I pulled all the injectors could I not pressure the coolant system and see which one leaks and only repair that injector cup with ring insert?
I would think you could see the cracked cup. Just seems to me with that kind of mileage your just chasing your tail.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Yeah but I do my oil changes early and add gear oil every time no oil consumption. The rest of the engine looks good. I don’t think I need to rebuild it. I will open the return line to check the injectors for leakage and if I find it I will most likely add 6 rings to all the injectors and try to get a vacuum so I can easily remove injectors like Rawze advised. I checked the secondary diesel filter and it doesn’t have coolant lines going to it and nor do we have diesel tank heater on the truck
replyreply
07-22-2019, (Subject: Coolant in secondary filter ISX 2013 485 HP ) 
the inserts work for me about 50-60% of the time. There is no downfall to trying the inserts. If it works cool, if not you change the head and are likely in framing it due to lower liners while you are there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rawze
07-22-2019, (Subject: Coolant in secondary filter ISX 2013 485 HP ) 
You will know which sleeve is leaking as soon as you remove the injectors. If you insert a ring in one, do the lot.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.