Steer tires wear
06-01-2016, (Subject: Steer tires wear ) 
RE: Steer tires wear
For years, on 3 different trucks, I ran low pro 24.5. On the Pete 377 I usually had Firestone FS590 steer tires at 110 psi with a usual weight on the front end of between 5600 and 5700 kg. I would rotate maybe once and would consider myself lucky to get 180000 to 200000 km before the edge wear got too bad to run them out on the drives.

On the 2 Volvos, the first one a 670 and the present one a 780, I've had Michelin XZA3 up front with the pressure and weight the same as the Pete. Again I'd be lucky to get 200000km before ONE edge wore away. On my last set of XZA3 I kept the pressure at 110-115 but dropped the weight below 5500 kg and at 250000km, wear is even across the tire with the edges 1/32" below the center, with tread depth at 45-50%. These were rotated twice at 80000km intervals.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
06-02-2016, (Subject: Steer tires wear ) 
(06-01-2016 )Vin Wrote:  The Centramatic wheel balancers really make a difference for most trucks. Well worth the $ in my book.

I second that. I have just short of 100k miles on my steers and drives and they look brand new. I'm shocked at how well the steers are wearing. Especially driving in pot hole infested Massachusetts.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
when talking about tire wear I always see peopl talking about balancing and putting some centramatics on, but I never hear anybody talking about making sure the tires them self are centred on the rim buy checking to make sure the line around the tire and the rim is completely even. that can effect tire wear and create funny wear too.

I also never hear anybody talking about making sure the rim is centred on the hub, so that the wheels are rolling in a circle vs and oval. I use these http://www.tru-bal.com/ and from what I've seen on my tires running them they seem to help.

these guys makee the same products for a bit cheaper
http://www.spcalignment.com/component/co...g-products
replyreply
(05-31-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote:  Hey guys, I've never been good at reading tire wear so I'm wondering if some of you could help me out here. This is my steer tires looking towards the rear of the truck. I rotate approx every 50,000 miles and run 100 psi all the way around. The tires have 136,000 miles on them so far. I've started to notice a bit of a shake in the truck but it's hard to say if it's coming from the front end.
My drives have 160,000 miles and still look new. Any ideas? The first pic is the pass side and the second is the driver side, like I said, looking towards the rear. Thanks again guys.
To me it looks like its towards the outside of tire? Id say toe out is off. Id have it checked along with the tierod ends.
Thats my opinion anyways.
replyreply
(05-31-2016 )biscuits and gravy Wrote:  Michelen X Line Energy 275/80/22.5 steer tire blown out on a 2015, KW T680, MX 13 with a 10 spd Uktrashift transmission.

That tire blew out today, truck is driven by one of my family members. The trailer runs super singles Michelen X.

Over the last few years I've been in the Loves tire shops, TA tire shops and Kram tire shops and seen piles of Michelens, Bridgestones, Yokohomas and Goodyears and Chinese tires too; piled up on the side of the shops; all of them big boy name brands blown apart too.

I think it comes down to having good luck on the production run of the tires you buy and the quality of the suspension and alignment on your own truck.
Any name brand tire will eventually blow out if u hit every hole on the highway!
replyreply
(06-01-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-31-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote:  Hey guys, I've never been good at reading tire wear so I'm wondering if some of you could help me out here. This is my steer tires looking towards the rear of the truck. I rotate approx every 50,000 miles and run 100 psi all the way around. The tires have 136,000 miles on them so far. I've started to notice a bit of a shake in the truck but it's hard to say if it's coming from the front end.
My drives have 160,000 miles and still look new. Any ideas? The first pic is the pass side and the second is the driver side, like I said, looking towards the rear. Thanks again guys.

By Rotating the tires every 50,000 miles, you can not look at your tire wear to determine what would cause such a pattern.

I never rotate my tires,... none! -- I do this on purpose, so that I can see what is causing my wear. -- I want to see it,. and I want to know how they are wearing, and why!. -- rotating tires and moving them around skews this and you never know what is happening.

Next,.. you got 136k miles on them, and they still look decent! -- Anything more than 100k miles and they are still legal,-- and your alignment is damn near perfect any ways. Ajdusting things and chasing tire wear with so many miles on them is chasing ghosts, and your more likely to get it more out of alignment than where it already is. Even if everything on the truck is within spec,... 136k miles is decent if that is all the wear they have so far.

That is my take on it so far anyways.
True!
It could just be a wear pattern from rotating them from side to side and changing the direction of the tire. Unless hes paying someone or doing it himself, dismout and mount every 50k to rotate? Sounds a little excessive to me at that.
replyreply
This video from Bridgestone explains concentric mounting.

This one from Michelin talks about runout and match mounting.

This one from Accuride goes over a bit from the other two but it shows the proper way to install the wheel and tire assembly on the truck. Skip to the 22:00 mark for the hub pilot install procedures.

Note on the Accuride video for the wheel install the hub pads or ears MUST be at the 12 o'clock position for proper install.

A few years ago I got a set of those tru balance things and found they weren't worth the electricity the computer used to find out about them. When it came I decided to try them out on a steer tire so before removing the wheel I slipped a feeler gauge in the bottom gap between the wheel center and the hub pad and had a gap of about 0.010". Wheel was mounted using the above procedures. If I remember right the difference between the wheel hole and the outside diameter of the tru balance thing was about 0.025". The theory is the wheel will "hang" on the centering sleeves while you tighten some nuts to hold the wheel in place then you remove the sleeves and install the nuts. If you mount your wheels PROPERLY the tru balance sleeves are loose in the wheel hole so are not doing anything except draining your wallet. They are a total and complete waste of money.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
06-03-2016, (Subject: Steer tires wear ) 
(06-02-2016 )mHolc Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  

By Rotating the tires every 50,000 miles, you can not look at your tire wear to determine what would cause such a pattern.

I never rotate my tires,... none! -- I do this on purpose, so that I can see what is causing my wear. -- I want to see it,. and I want to know how they are wearing, and why!. -- rotating tires and moving them around skews this and you never know what is happening.

Next,.. you got 136k miles on them, and they still look decent! -- Anything more than 100k miles and they are still legal,-- and your alignment is damn near perfect any ways. Ajdusting things and chasing tire wear with so many miles on them is chasing ghosts, and your more likely to get it more out of alignment than where it already is. Even if everything on the truck is within spec,... 136k miles is decent if that is all the wear they have so far.

That is my take on it so far anyways.
True!
It could just be a wear pattern from rotating them from side to side and changing the direction of the tire. Unless hes paying someone or doing it himself, dismout and mount every 50k to rotate? Sounds a little excessive to me at that.
I rotate my tires by myself and do most of my repairs myself as well.
I wouldn't pay the kind of money they want for somthing so easy. That would be like giving money away for free. Thanks.
replyreply
06-03-2016, (Subject: Steer tires wear ) 
(06-02-2016 )ynot Wrote:  when talking about tire wear I always see peopl talking about balancing and putting some centramatics on, but I never hear anybody talking about making sure the tires them self are centred on the rim buy checking to make sure the line around the tire and the rim is completely even. that can effect tire wear and create funny wear too.

I also never hear anybody talking about making sure the rim is centred on the hub, so that the wheels are rolling in a circle vs and oval. I use these http://www.tru-bal.com/ and from what I've seen on my tires running them they seem to help.

these guys makee the same products for a bit cheaper
http://www.spcalignment.com/component/co...g-products
I use the ones you posted in the first link and they do work.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.