Used TMC truck
07-26-2019, (Subject: Used TMC truck ) 
RE: Used TMC truck
(07-26-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
(07-26-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-26-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote:  ...
and want to run 80

I will praise the day when they make a law that forces all trucks will be governed to 65 mph or less.

80 mph is too fast, and consumes too much fuel, even if empty, for any large vehicle of that size.

But this is where I differ from most people,.. and one of my rants to the industry -- SLOW THE HELL DOWN!!!!!!!!!

If it wasn't for the ELD, my average top speed would likely be 59, but over the course of 11 hours, sometimes that would mean a sacrifice of over 150 miles, or close to 3 hours I would have to make up the next day - though usually I'm racing the damned 14 hour egg timer. Not that it happens often, but it DOES happen. Even at the beginning of my 70, it's still in the back of my mind that while I may be getting 8 mpg puttering along at 59, I'm going to have to pay it back 3-fold at the end of the week in lost time, but this is more of an argument that government regulations makes any "fix" they're attempting more regressive than anything.

Running on a razor like you do, the game changes drastically and I'd venture that very few could pull off the profit margin you do, which is applaudable.

Keep the driver door closed... End of that story.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
Next time you get on a two lane road and decide to pass look down and see if that 65 mph governor is gonna be the safest thing. Then imagine all the rest of the trucking world running against elog and stuck at 65. There is gonna be unintended consequences with speed governors. Like maybe one guy wants to drive 54 because he’s saving fuel. Maybe the other guy can’t make his appointment unless he’s driving 58 or 60. He can’t stand it. He passes doesn’t see the gray car that was down the road. Still enough time if he could go faster but government mandates 65 and people are now in a bad situation. I sure as hell don’t want a truck that can’t get out of a tight spot. Out here in the desert two lane roads following something slow not seeing a little car in a dip with heat mirage and all. I’ve needed that extra power and speed more than once just for everyone to have breathing room. No shoulder and all. You can’t just jerk a cow truck back in its lane when things are tight.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792 , fargonaz , Waterloo , farmer70
My tires show 75 rating and that's highest I've seen. Yet there plenty of dumbees running 80+ on 70 low ply tires and that's scary

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I just ran in to a guy that was bragging about having a triple digit truck. I shook my head and told him he must not care about his life or career. I did 100 + mph way back when I was younger and waaay dumber and the damn truck shook so bad i thought it wasn't gonna hold together. I don't care to go anywhere near those speeds with that sized vehicle ever again.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.