ISX oil leak
08-14-2019, (Subject: ISX oil leak ) 
RE: ISX oil leak
(08-12-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  if you install any plates, you will need Unilevers or mommaburt to make a custom program. Otherwise, it will have a turbo derate all the time.

Also, a lot of those "kits" are not so good quality. I have seen many that come apart, crack, burn through, etc. after a few months or a couple years and take the turbo or engine out along with them.

Definitely want to have that done then. Do I need pull the cams & inspect bushings while front cover is off ? If the bushings were worn would it show signs on the rollers / rockers ?
replyreply
(08-14-2019 )TallBoy441 Wrote:  
(08-12-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  if you install any plates, you will need Unilevers or mommaburt to make a custom program. Otherwise, it will have a turbo derate all the time.

Also, a lot of those "kits" are not so good quality. I have seen many that come apart, crack, burn through, etc. after a few months or a couple years and take the turbo or engine out along with them.

Definitely want to have that done then. Do I need pull the cams & inspect bushings while front cover is off ? If the bushings were worn would it show signs on the rollers / rockers ?

Pull the cams? Do you know for sure that is where the oil leak is coming from? With the fan running, and an oil leak on the front cover if could be anywhere. Did you invest in a box of the oil dye and the black light kit to know for sure where the leak is?

Clean the front of the motor with Dawn and warm or hot water, dump in around 6 bottles of UV oil dye, run the truck for a few days and break out the black light and glasses. The leak may be something as simple as a front cover leak.

And if it is the cam seals at the gears leaking, which it could be, but from my experience those appear at the top of the cover... I would run to Napa and get a box of dye and see where it is really coming from before tearing everything apart.
replyreply
I have 05 cm 870,just over 1.3 mi. My start to leak between gear housing and block also on front seal . It's big job but take, your time . On the front also I change both idler gears and thrust bearing, top side pull cams out change bushings, valve seals, injector o-rings,run overhead,and new harmonic balancer....         

User's Signature: One word not enough two words to much to say
replyreply
(08-14-2019 )Baco74 Wrote:  I have 05 cm 870,just over 1.3 mi. My start to leak between gear housing and block also on front seal . It's big job but take, your time . On the front also I change both idler gears and thrust bearing, top side pull cams out change bushings, valve seals, injector o-rings,run overhead,and new harmonic balancer....

Mine has just over 1 mil miles and appears to be leaking at front gear housing, crank seal & some minor seepage at the cam seals. I was thinking it would be best to change the cam bushings, and a few other things while it’s tore apart, maybe same some problems down the road. I got pin, wedges & gear puller. What else do I need to pull the cams ?
replyreply
Bushing tool, I got friend of mine to make me one ,for valves I buy the tool in Cummins Missisauga,ON

User's Signature: One word not enough two words to much to say
replyreply
(08-14-2019 )Baco74 Wrote:  I have 05 cm 870,just over 1.3 mi. My start to leak between gear housing and block also on front seal . It's big job but take, your time . On the front also I change both idler gears and thrust bearing, top side pull cams out change bushings, valve seals, injector o-rings,run overhead,and new harmonic balancer....

Mine has just over 1 mil miles and appears to be leaking at front gear housing, crank seal & some minor seepage at the cam seals. I was thinking it would be best to change the cam bushings, and a few other things while it’s tore apart, maybe same some problems down the road. I got pin, wedges & gear puller. What else do I need to pull the cams ?

You might be wasting your time replacing cam bearings at 1 million miles. That head can't have much life left in it, Just my thoughts on it.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Andre_The_Giant
08-15-2019, (Subject: ISX oil leak ) 
(08-14-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  

You might be wasting your time replacing cam bearings at 1 million miles. That head can't have much life left in it, Just my thoughts on it.

Yeah, I don’t know what the hell to do. Truck had 700k when I purchased it, so I really don’t know what’s been done to it. It gets descent fuel mileage and I’ve never had any problems with the motor, temp always around 190, fan rarely cuts on, used maybe half gallon oil between changes [alwys done at 10k ], very little visible blow by. Might be better to just reseal the front & run it and save up for inframe in the near future. I just hear all these bad stories about the cam bushings messing up the cams and costing thousands more dollars.
replyreply
10-06-2022, (Subject: ISX oil leak ) 
I have a ISX500ST CPL 8519 that we can't get the front main oil seal to stop leaking. Just put one the third one and it didn't even last a day. Changed out the front cover just in case that was the problem with the last seal. I believe we are doing everything by the book. Any ideas? About 350,000 miles on the motor. Could it be the main bearing is going bad?
replyreply
10-06-2022, (Subject: ISX oil leak ) 
ov6b you sure you dont have a scar on the crank or a crack in the cover? im not saying you dont have worn bearings but if maintained properly and if you dont have a bad delete your bearings should have very little wear at 350k miles
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.