Pressure testing a CM870
08-03-2019, (Subject: Pressure testing a CM870 ) 
Pressure testing a CM870
Hey folks! Morning!

So I want to pressurize the entire block by blocking of the intake, cac and turbo with 10-15 psi to find this damn boost leak I’ve got.

Is this 10-15 psi to much? It wouldn’t damage a head gasket or something?

This is on a Volvo 670.

Thanks!

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
RE: Pressure testing a CM870
(08-03-2019 )Evotrucker Wrote:  Hey folks! Morning!

So I want to pressurize the entire block by blocking of the intake, cac and turbo with 10-15 psi to find this damn boost leak I’ve got.

This is on a Volvo 670.

Thanks!

make some block plates at the intake of the turbo and the outlet (or use pipe plugs). As far as the engine is concerned, you should be able to safely go up to 5 psi over the max boost rating of the engine.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker
(08-03-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-03-2019 )Evotrucker Wrote:  Hey folks! Morning!

This is on a Volvo 670.

Thanks!

make some block plates at the intake of the turbo and the outlet (or use pipe plugs). As far as the engine is concerned, you should be able to safely go up to 5 psi over the max boost rating of the engine.

Hey rawze!

I’ve got plugs from FleetPride, I’ll post a picture of em later on.

Would the max boost rating be around 40 psi? Shouldn’t be 10-15 psi be enough?

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
I did 35 lbs. On mine and that was plenty of pressure.I never really realized how hard those rubber boots get with just 35 psi of boost.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
08-04-2019, (Subject: Pressure testing a CM870 ) 
(08-03-2019 )Evotrucker Wrote:  ...
Would the max boost rating be around 40 psi? Shouldn’t be 10-15 psi be enough?

I only ever use ab out 10-15 psi, unless I am looking for something no one else has found yet.

It gets dangerous to put 40+ psi on the engine with just some plugs or block plates. Not because the engine can't take it, but it is a serious safety hazard. One of those boots, plugs, or block plates lets go and you may be looking at a new windshield, or a trip to the hospital.

Sometimes, it is actually more effective to only put about 3-5 psi on the engine, then spray everything with soapy water, watch for bubbles.- It all depends on the type of leak I suppose.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.