Thoughts on this truck
08-04-2019, (Subject: Thoughts on this truck ) 
RE: Thoughts on this truck
(08-04-2019 )david24 Wrote:  
(08-04-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  ...
Your post implies that you have a lot to learn about trucking and truck purchasing. That or there is a lot you have not mentioned.

First of all, why is a 2009 truck only have less than 600k miles on it?
Rawze strikes again.....for someone that is new to being an owner op like myself, the advice that Rawze gives hurts at first because it seems like it'll be impossible to keep track of everything BUT once you settle down and get your mind around what he's saying you will realize he really knows what he's talking about. If you follow his advice I really think you will be on a road to success. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYTHING RAWZE

(the beer is talking...)

Our modern trucking industry any more is like a field full of cow-pies ... I am just trying to help others not step into too much of the bull#shi#t on their way across it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: david24 , fargonaz
08-05-2019, (Subject: Thoughts on this truck ) 
Every single time I've bought a truck that was cheap....... Ive gotten a cheap truck that ended up being expensive.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Chamberpains , Waterloo , Nostalgic , Creek , Evotrucker , redbeard
What happened to the simple answer of, did you read Rawze book? It's link is on the home page. It's a damn good start to what you'll NEED to know to be as successful as possible to start. Sit down and give it a read. Make a list of things you'll need to be prepared to look at on that truck. Then DO NOT NEGLECT TO LOOK AT IT. No matter what the person that is selling it says. You are buying it and will quite literally will be in bed with it (if you use the sleeper). Know what you're buying. It is the main thing that is going to supply for your family.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , scottydogtruck , SquareOne
If you are good mechanically and can find your EIN on Quickserve and Rawze's videos, $15,000 ain't bad. I would pop the top and inspect the cams, look for chewed up lobes along with soot. I would also go to NAPA and get one of their $50 block test kits and see if there is any exhaust gas in the coolant system (This kit has worked every time I have used it, unfortunately). This is the least invasive way to discover if a liner is fretted, and if they will not allow you to run this simple NON-INVASIVE TEST, don't walk away, run. Because odds are, they know the motor is shot and in need of an in-frame.

Really warm up the truck, a good hour warm up at high idle. Get her HOT! Then follow the directions on the test kit. If there is any exhaust gas in the coolant you will know in under 5 minutes. If the dye turns green, you are looking at an in-frame, figure $28,000 minimum, $35,000 realistically as other parts and pieces will need replacing.

If the dye stays blue, thank your lucky stars, now decision time, how long will the motor last? Not saying that a liner is not going to pop when you pull it off the lot, or is just hanging by a thread. It is a crap shoot.

First thing to do is get a Cummins Inline reader and Insite, then get rid of the mandate. If need be, take it to Atlanta and let Mr Hagg have his way with the truck, install the gauges and tune the motor properly. Go over it with an educated eye, maybe Rawze will stop by and really ruin your day... LOL! Just kidding about Rawze, but he does have an eye for truck issues, he is a good guy to let look at your ride. Actually, one of the best.

Good luck!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Creek , SquareOne
Just to add my .02....the truck I purchased, although a very basic Cascadia, turned out to be a really decent truck and a good money maker thus far. However, with that being said, I have spent $26,849.35 (not including 11k in fuel costs) since the beginning of March. This is insurance, repairs, fees, apportioned tag, etc. all to the penny up to this point. By the way, there have been no major repairs in that figure....nickels and dimes add up!

- Now, I have been very particular about everything on this truck. If it's worn - it's replaced, if it's recommended to do from this forum, it's done, oil changes have been very early (when I 1st received the truck, then at 7k, 11.5k, 12k, and the latest was 14.5k) in order to flush out the other 250k miles of $hit the previous owner allowed. When one of my drive tires let go, I replaced all 8.

These are a few examples of the costs and how I apply them, but this is our livelihood. The better we take of it, the better it will take care of us.

Just some expenses to think about going into this venture. - Best of luck and with the knowledge and guidance here, that mountain in front of you will be a profitable mole hill in short time
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , fargonaz

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.