Noisy Air compressor
08-15-2019, (Subject: Noisy Air compressor ) 
RE: Noisy Air compressor
They just make noise like that. I wouldn’t fret over it. Unless there’s some other symptoms. Change air dryer filter and call it good.
replyreply
08-15-2019, (Subject: Noisy Air compressor ) 
you can replace the check valve if i remember right but for most part they knock any time they are making air pressure. so replace checkvalve if you want but after that if its not pushing air into the cooling system or oil into the air dryer its good to go.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
08-20-2019, (Subject: Noisy Air compressor ) 
Too much Pag Oil can also lead to a noisy compressor
replyreply
08-20-2019, (Subject: Noisy Air compressor ) 
Sorry Smooth, PAG oil only goes into AC compressors. The OP seems to be only inquiring about a noisy air compressor. They lube off of engine oil.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
08-21-2019, (Subject: Noisy Air compressor ) 
On another note
Me Gearhead spoke about soot accumulating in air tanks

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
08-21-2019, (Subject: Noisy Air compressor ) 
(08-21-2019 )hhow55 Wrote:  On another note
Me Gearhead spoke about soot accumulating in air tanks

I also mention it in my EGR tune-up series.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
08-24-2019, (Subject: Noisy Air compressor ) 
(08-13-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I bet that is your issue, those need to be replaced a couple of times a year. When I bought my truck, the kid at the TA had to use a hammer to beat it off, it looked like the original from the factory. I recently replaced the entire air dryer, cheaper than fixing at this point. I installed a reman from FleetPride, under $200 with the cartridge. I had the kid at the TA install the air dryer as they have a pit. This was after installing a new air compressor in the driveway. Then the fun began... LOL!

After you did all that did the noise go away? I have had experience with several ISX Wabco compressors When making air they all knocked.
replyreply
08-24-2019, (Subject: Noisy Air compressor ) 
I pulled the air supply line loose at the air dryer and it made the same noise without being connected.

Replaced air dryer filter, it was what I would call clean under the filter. Didn't see any black to indicate soot was getting to the filter. Wiped out where the filter goes with a rag and put on the new filter. Makes the same noise as before.

After hearing a couple other trucks run I am going to say my noise is normal. Side note heard a Freightliner 2 ton truck with I assume a 6.7 Cummins making way more noise while building air.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.