Cummins ISX white smoke
08-13-2019, (Subject: Cummins ISX white smoke ) 
Cummins ISX white smoke
I have a 2013 Peterbilt 386 13spd with a Cummins ISX engine. When I’m pulling up a incline i notice light white smoke coming from the passenger side in the exhaust pipe area. The truck i have has side vertical stacks. I took it to the Rush Truck Center Peterbilt in Odessa TX to have it looked at (also had a check engine light). After diagnostic, they determined my fuel pump needed to be replaced (tappets at the top end failed and luckily cause little to no damage to the rollers) and as far as the white smoke they said it was from a bad exhaust bellow. After a week (dealing with the warranty claims) in the shop both was replaced. A few days later it’s still emitting white smoke mostly when i driving up roads pulling hills then go away. Just today i got another check engine message that’s says “Particulate Trap outlet temp” on my fault code screen. Does anyone know what this could mean?
replyreply
08-13-2019, (Subject: Cummins ISX white smoke ) 
RE: Cummins ISX white smoke
white is either water burning or exhaust leak when regening typically

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
08-14-2019, (Subject: Cummins ISX white smoke ) 
All you are going to accomplish by running off to the stealershit every time you have issues like that is to achieve a repeating cycle of lost revenue and trucking death. It will be either in over-priced, expensive repairs by a bunch of half-arssed, air-gun happy, horribly trained idiots --- OR waiting forever for those same half-arssed quality repairs via a warranty claims while your truck payments get behind and you loose freight. -- BOTH of these situations will only serve to put you out of business due to repeating failures that a stealershit is not going to help you solve and lost revenue due to unnecessary down time.

That is not any way whatsoever to run a trucking business.

As far as white smoke goes when going up a hill ...

It is perfectly normal for the truck to smoke like hell (white/bluish smoke) when it does a regen when going up a hill. My truck did this even when the truck was brand spanking new, nothing wrong with the system or engine at all. The smoke would be so bad sometimes that you could not even see the trailer behind you, especially when the weather got cooler. It is because sometimes fuel will build up in the DPF because it is not hot enough to ignite, then it ignites all at once when you hit a hill or an on-ramp. When it finally does ignite, it is so bad, you can't even see behind you for the cloud of white smoke as it starts to burn, sometimes for several minutes.

* What is your regen history look like?

* What is your oil consumption?

* What is your boost and pyro normally?

=======

for the check light(s) ...

As far as getting the regen system to work properly ..

How many miles on the truck/engine?

Do you have boost gauge? -- pyro gauge installed?

Have you done anything yourself towards solving your issues like replacing sensors, and cleaning out pipes, etc? -- or are you just running off to the stealershit (which solves little to nothing by the way) every time you have a CEL code like a company driver idiot would do?

Have you done an EGR tune-up? -- replaced the sensors and cleaned the doser injector? -- Replaced NOx sensors? -- Pulled the cans off the truck taken pictures of their faces + have them baked, de-ashed, and flow tested?

When is the last time you did an overhead valve adjustment and inspected the cam(s)?

What preventative measures and regular practices do you have in place for keeping excess soot and problems like this out of your engine BEFORE all the complaint lights start to come on?.

Do you have a copy of Insite? -- You own a truck that absolutely requires a person to have diag. software that can trouble-shoot, invoke a forced regen when needed, and calibrate the turbo, etc. to keep it running and healthy.

Have you inspected and repaired any exhaust and intake leaks? - it will not regen very well if you have leaky exhaust or other air/egr related issues.

THESE THINGS YOU WILL HAVE TO DO YOURSELF -- BECAUSE NO DAMN STEALERSHIT IS GOING TO DO ANY OF THIS BECAUSE A WARRANTY CLAIM WILL NOT COVER IT!!! -- THEY ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF MAKING YOUR TRUCK HEALTHY, THAT IS THE TRUCK OWNERS RESPONSIBILITY -- THEY ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN GETTING YOU TO STOP COMPLAINING, COLLECTING AS MUCH MONEY FROM EITHER YOU OR YOUR WARRANTY COMPANY AS THEY CAN, AND SHOVING YOU OUT OF THEIR DOOR SO THEY CAN GET TO THEIR NEXT VICTIM!!!

-- GRAB A WRENCH -- START GETTING DIRTY AND EDUCATING YOURSELF, TAKING MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS -- OR GO OUT OF BUSINESS!!!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo
08-14-2019, (Subject: Cummins ISX white smoke ) 
Mine would smoke white while doing a regen from the connection where the turbo connected to the dozer injector pipe, needed a new gasket.
It was doing it lots as it was never actually doing a proper regen

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.