Replace entire turbo or just vgt actuator?
06-04-2016, (Subject: Replace entire turbo or just vgt actuator? ) 
Replace entire turbo or just vgt actuator?
I have a Cummins ISM, I know this isn't the perfect forum for it, but it uses the same turbo as the ISX. The truck is a 2010 International 8600 that has been deleted and throwing a spn 641 fmi 7 code which points to the VGT actuator. The tech who deleted it said to just replace the entire turbo charger as he hasn't had much luck just changing the actuator and reprograming it with the old turbocharger. Guess the new turbocharger comes with the actuator already installed and you just install the turbo and go. Problem is the new turbo is north of 3k plus labor. Truck has under 300,000 miles and at around 8000 hours. Seems like a short life for a turbo charger on a truck that has been maintained well and an easy life. The tech did say he was covering his ass which I completely understand. The price is hard to swallow at over 3k while the actuators can be found for $500. Any advice? Anyone know who remains a turbo aftermarket for cheaper or is that not a good ideal?
replyreply
RE: Replace entire turbo or just vgt actuator?
The right decision involve thorough inspection on every single part upon full dis assembly ! My understanding is you don't have the resources to do that ! All I can say is : Whatever you decide ( whole new turbo or actuator only ) , go with OEM Holset parts and assembly !!! I urge everyone here to forget about cheap aftermarket lookalikes and knockoffs when it comes to turbos !!! ( and not only )
replyreply
(06-04-2016 )giannid Wrote:  ...
The tech who deleted it said

Who deleted it? -- 99% of all the deletes out there being done are terrible about eating turbochargers (and cracking heads etc.) like mad!. -- Unless it is done with the MM method,.. your in for more trouble down the road with it.
replyreply
A well respected forum member did the computer work for the delete remotely for the shop I took it to. I removed the muffler myself and the tech put the plate in to block off the egr. I think the code may have been stored in the computer before I did the delete. I'm the only one who drives the truck and have only seen it 3 times and it says it's went off 6 times now.
replyreply
honestly if it was mine i would separate the 2 and do a inspection test on them to verify what one is bad. no need to change parts that are not broken.
replyreply
Well, I'm not going to be able to separate it myself as I don't have insite software to calibrate it myself. The tech doesn't want to just do the actuator. I'm sure the cummins dealer would do just the actuator but they might not touch the truck when they find out it's deleted which is easy to see since it doesn't have the dpf on it anymore. I might be forced on a new turbo for this. Good thing is it's an intermediate problem right now. Not happening much at all but I'm sure it'll get worse eventually.
replyreply
(06-04-2016 )giannid Wrote:  Well, I'm not going to be able to separate it myself as I don't have insite software to calibrate it myself. The tech doesn't want to just do the actuator. I'm sure the cummins dealer would do just the actuator but they might not touch the truck when they find out it's deleted which is easy to see since it doesn't have the dpf on it anymore. I might be forced on a new turbo for this. Good thing is it's an intermediate problem right now. Not happening much at all but I'm sure it'll get worse eventually.

I would not trust a dealer to hold the screwdriver while I calibrated it. They are useless rip-off's so nothing lost there.

Call around and find a shop that has insite willing to give it an inspection. that or go buy Insite/inline off e-bay and never look back.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
Rawze, I totally agree with you, lol. Unfortunately, it's my busy time at work right now with my business. I'm hoping the problem continues to be an intermediate problem for awhile as I don't have time to fix it right now myself. Probably should invest in a manual soon so I can at least do some of this stuff myself. If it becomes a constant code I'm sure the truck will go in limp mode and I'll probably have to bite the bullet and do the entire turbo unless I can find a shop that will do the actuator/inspection. These shops all want to make big money and it's hard to find someone you can trust. The guy who told me to do the whole turbo I trust.
replyreply
As far as I know, the actuator and turbo assy are two different parts. I never heard of the whole thing being replaced as one. The actuator is a few hundred dollars. Why in the world replace the whole thing together?
And since it's not that old, check the wiring to the actuator and make sure it's not damaged or resting against anything hot, etc.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.