Replace entire turbo or just vgt actuator?
06-05-2016, (Subject: Replace entire turbo or just vgt actuator? ) 
RE: Replace entire turbo or just vgt actuator?
The actuator is still a $1000 part from cummins. I'd love to just replace the actuator instead of the whole turbo. Just looking for my options and asking for advice. I don't know a whole lot about these engines.
replyreply
(06-05-2016 )giannid Wrote:  The actuator is still a $1000 part from cummins. I'd love to just replace the actuator instead of the whole turbo. Just looking for my options and asking for advice. I don't know a whole lot about these engines.

I replaced my turbo. And the actuator wouldn't calibrate. So I got one from Cummins (reman) for about $500 plus the core exchange.
It's not too hard to do. But the coolant has to be drained, and you do need insite to do the two-step calibration.
There's an excellent video on here showing that whole process.
But check the wiring for any problems. If it is allowed to rest on high temp areas, and not routed away from them, it could be damaged.
replyreply
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUpKb5umv_0
replyreply
I'm sure Unilevers or his partner ken could find a shop near wherever you are to check it and re calibrate if needed. I wouldn't waste money on a turbo if it's not necessary.
replyreply
(06-04-2016 )giannid Wrote:  Rawze, I totally agree with you, lol. Unfortunately, it's my busy time at work right now with my business. I'm hoping the problem continues to be an intermediate problem for awhile as I don't have time to fix it right now myself. Probably should invest in a manual soon so I can at least do some of this stuff myself. If it becomes a constant code I'm sure the truck will go in limp mode and I'll probably have to bite the bullet and do the entire turbo unless I can find a shop that will do the actuator/inspection. These shops all want to make big money and it's hard to find someone you can trust. The guy who told me to do the whole turbo I trust.

Busy or not you need to get it checked/fixed. Or you may be spending all that money you're making and more to get it fixed when it blows up.
replyreply
It's not an active code right now and comes on very little. I'm sure it'll get worse in time. I'm going to check around this week to see if someone will do the actuator only or I'll have to do the entire turbo.
replyreply
06-08-2016, (Subject: Replace entire turbo or just vgt actuator? ) 
Talked to the dealer today. New turbo with actuator is $3600. Ridiculous. Hopefully it doesn't need one. I've got a Kenworth tandem axle with a cummins in it that I've owned for 17 years and never put any money into the engine. Not a fan of these newer engines even with a delete. :(
replyreply
06-09-2016, (Subject: Replace entire turbo or just vgt actuator? ) 
(06-08-2016 )giannid Wrote:  Talked to the dealer today. New turbo with actuator is $3600. Ridiculous. Hopefully it doesn't need one. I've got a Kenworth tandem axle with a cummins in it that I've owned for 17 years and never put any money into the engine. Not a fan of these newer engines even with a delete. :(

LOL! Same here, sold my old 1997 Volvo with a Cummins, to my neighbor to haul his horses... Damn thing is still humming along, well over a million miles... Fuel, grease and oil, THATS IT! Wish I still owned it!

I could have bought ten of those trucks with what I have in this ProStar with repairs and tens of thousands, if not more, in lost revenue. I figured I have lost a year of work out of the three years I have owned this truck due to mandate issues.
replyreply
06-10-2016, (Subject: Replace entire turbo or just vgt actuator? ) 
Up here north of the boarder it's 5300 $ for a 871 turbo and 1300 $ for actuator from cummins
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.