Where do I begin!
08-22-2019, (Subject: Where do I begin! ) 
Where do I begin!
Hello all, I recently purchased my first big rig...2007 volvo vnl64t630, {personal info removed by Rawze}, with isx 475. It currently has 1.4 million original miles. The biggest work done based on invoices (as seller kept all receipts) was main and rod bearing replacement in engine.

I'm supposed to be transporting (planning on driving it) from Chicago to new Jersey, however after having found this website - I am now wondering what's the first thing I should do (besides an oil change) before hitting the road from Chicago to New Jersey?

Shortly after I arrive, I plan on doing a egr tune-up, which I learned from rawze videos (thank you!).

Lastly, how soon should I be thinking about inframe or rebuild?
replyreply
08-22-2019, (Subject: Where do I begin! ) 
RE: Where do I begin!
Lastly, how soon should I be thinking about inframe or rebuild?

TODAY.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: UponARock
08-23-2019, (Subject: Where do I begin! ) 
its 1.4mil on a 1mil mile engine now if it was well taken care of you might get a few more out of it but basically its at the point where you need to check blowby and if its steaming like a freight train and drinking oil like a drunk on st patties day its due for an inframe.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: UponARock
if that is the original miles, and it made it that far without an inframe/overhaul ...

You seriously need to pull the valve cover and inspect the overhead cams before taking it anywhere. Adjust the valves while your at it and also check detent clearances ASAP. If your getting less than about 0.030" or less, that head is done, and it is a ticking time bomb waiting to send a piston through the block via a snapped valve.

Ref mid-way in this post: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...66#pid9466

When were the rod/main bearings done? -- If it was recently, like AFTER a million miles -- then it is a ticking time bomb anyways, and you have huge risk loosing the engine and engine block with catastrophic failure with zero warning at this point. If it was back when it had around 800k~ish miles on it,.. then the bottom end may still have some life(if blo-by is not excessive),.. but it certainly is not reliable enough to haul freight with at this point without massive risk for loosing the whole engine and block.

No matter what -- it is ready for an overhaul kit and a new head at 1.4 mil miles.

=====

Like others have said -- it has 1.4 million miles on it... is done for!!!!... its days of hauling freight reliably are over, and the person who sold it knew it is likely in dire need of an inframe!> AT THAT MILEAGE YOU ABSOLUTELY SHOULD HAVE PLANNED ON DOING A COMPLETE INFRAME TO IT THE DAY YOU GOT IT!!!

* New OEM head (not reman or after-market).

* New Overhaul kit (not after-market).

* New oil pump.

* Possibly new rockers, cams, etc.

* Another set of new rod/main bearings.

* Proper counter-boring and raising liner height to 0.014" minimum.

etc. etc. etc. - And doing the inframe/rebuild work yourself -- OR a trip with it (praying it makes it bobtail) to Mr. Hags for a proper and thorough re-build if you are unable to do it yourself.

--=--<< That thing is ABSOLUTELY DONE AND YOU SHOULD NOT BE HAULING FREIGHT WITH IT AT THIS POINT!!! -- and if you expected anything less THEN I WANT SOME OF THAT CRACK-PIPE YOUR SMOKING!.

-- For some reason, trucking seems to be full of people that think they can get a completely worn down, end of its rope truck,.. and somehow scrape it by for another year .. or another (however long) and save up money to get it fixed right ... THIS NEVER WORKS OUT AND IS A VERY BAD BUSINESS STRATEGY!!! -- Inevitably, they never can figure out why they have such constant, struggle-mode, going out of business types of problems. The mentality of people who think like this in general is exactly why they are always broke and struggling to begin with.

It is called PROPER BUSINESS PLANNING for a reason. If you purchased it on the el-cheap and planned on hauling freight with it for a year before doing all this to it then --- YOU NEED YOUR HEAD EXAMINED!!! --- GO PARK IT AND GO BE A COMPANY DRIVER AND LEARN TO/ + SAVE UP MORE MONEY TO GET THAT THING IN PROPER SHAPE FIRST!!! -- A PERSON SHOULD NEVER PLAN THEIR BUSINESS STRATEGY AROUND SHOE-STRING IDEAS -- THEY NEVER WORK OUT!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo , SquareOne , UponARock
(08-23-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  You seriously need to pull the valve cover and inspect the overhead cams before taking it anywhere.

Rod/main bearings was done at a local shop in West Chicago about 200k miles ago. I'll definitely check the cams and adjust the valves if needed. When you have a moment, please PM me the shop's number you're recommending. Thanks again!
replyreply
(08-23-2019 )UponARock Wrote:  
(08-23-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  You seriously need to pull the valve cover and inspect the overhead cams before taking it anywhere.

Rod/main bearings was done at a local shop in West Chicago about 200k miles ago. I'll definitely check the cams and adjust the valves if needed. When you have a moment, please PM me the shop's number you're recommending. Thanks again!

these guys...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid35437

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.