Clogged filters damage fuel pump?
08-25-2019, (Subject: Clogged filters damage fuel pump? ) 
Clogged filters damage fuel pump?
I have an X15 and I think it has the same type of fuel pump that the 2350's use. This engine is very temperamental about it's fuel filters. If the Davco or the spin on filter start getting plugged the engine will throw a low rail pressure code and will give you slower than normal throttle response. I don't know if the slower response is the computer delaying the fuel into the injectors because it knows there is a restriction, or is the restriction (plugged filter) not allowing the pump enough volume of fuel to get it up to desired pressure in the rail? Will this destroy the fuel pump if it were to happen to often? I remember Chamber pains saying he waits till the CEL comes on to change the filter on his 870, but this is far from an 870 so I'm not sure if it would damage it.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
RE: Clogged filters damage fuel pump?
(08-25-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Will this destroy the fuel pump if it were to happen to often?

Absofreakinlutley...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Rawze , tree98 , Andre_The_Giant
I figured as much, just wanted confirmation. Thanks

replyreply
I have a davco on my fuel system, and use either a 7 or 10 micron filter in it. - I replace the filter element when the fuel gets to the black line at the top.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-25-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  I have a davco on my fuel system, and use either a 7 or 10 micron filter in it. - I replace the filter element when the fuel gets to the black line at the top.

I use 10 micron davco also. I must have gotten a bad batch of fuel because the davco filled up over the top of the black line in about 5,000 miles and I didn't check it that soon because they always last longer than that. Then the spin on clogged about 3,000 miles after that. Now I check the davco twice a week and check the spin on at the compuchek fittings with fuel pressure gauges. I just wasn't sure if the computer would adjust throttle response to help save the fuel pump from damage if it see's a restriction or was it actually starving for fuel.

replyreply
08-26-2019, (Subject: Clogged filters damage fuel pump? ) 
I don't always wait til the check engine light comes on. My Davco fuel level rides pretty high in the bowl even with a fresh filter.

I wouldn't play the game I do with a high pressure common rail system. My old cm870 doesn't mind a few minutes of restriction to allow me to get somewhere safe to change a filter. Those common rails are a whole other animal.

Bio diesel is the absolute worst at clogging filters fast. It appears to make a ton of asphaltene. I've had the high percentage stuff out of Texas and OK plug up a filter in 1000-1500 miles
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.