What can cause this wear
08-25-2019, (Subject: What can cause this wear ) 
What can cause this wear
Only on the spot shown

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
RE: What can cause this wear
(referring to the pic above)...
how many miles on the tire?

If it is more than 100k miles,.. then it is called "driving". You should also see similar wear (maybe not quite as bad though) on the drivers side inner edge. If this is the case, you are ready for new tires, and nothing is wrong whatsoever, as the rest of the tire looks fine.

Making really tight right turns a lot in city streets is what causes it. Nothing can be done about it except being aware that the more city driving you do, the faster that wear is going to set in due to tight right turns. With city driving, tight right turns at traffic lights, etc. while the truck is heavy eats those edges up a bit and then once the wear sets in.. all driving amplifies it later on. A truck does not make tight left turns very often, so the steer tires will eventually always wear out on the passenger outer edge and on the drivers side inner edge. It is inevitable.

OR...

If it is less than 100k miles, and only on the passenger side but not the drivers side, then check king pin(s) and hub bearing(s) on the steer axles. If they are in spec then it is not a problem in the front end at all, but in the rear axle/tandem alignment. That is usually the result of some moron alignment shop a-hole, with one of those stupid-arsse laser-alignment devices, who has set the rear tandems perfectly parallel to each other like an idiot. The rear axles of a highway truck should NOT BE PARALLEL unless you just want to eat up steer tires and have the truck driving into the ditch every time you let go of the steering wheel.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid16060

The only real question... is which one is it?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , SquareOne , rrod , t700
Bout 70-80k that tire was put on in December after I hit a deer and wreck the original. Alignment was done shortly after guy doesn't use laser machines uses whatever the old school stuff is even goes when as far as to take my out of round tires and use I'm cutting machine to make them round I'm going to guess somehow I knocked my rear end out of alignment probably doesn't help going down into rock quarries and stuff like that and bouncing all over and the driver side tire has no abnormal wear

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
08-27-2019, (Subject: What can cause this wear ) 
The crown of the road will do that. It is always putting stress on the tires.
replyreply
It's only in about a foot to a foot and a half long stretch of the tire the rest of the tire is perfectly fine

replyreply
Tie rod going bad?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Zondo956
Is it on a lift axle?

User's Signature: I may be cross eyed, but i don’t cross thread
replyreply
(08-27-2019 )Creek Wrote:  The crown of the road will do that. It is always putting stress on the tires.

The crown in the road should never do that if you have good/proper alignment.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
This is normal wear for a steer tire. Those in the tire business refer to this as erosion or river wear. There is no corrective action for this type of wear and usually starts to show up during the later life of a tire. I've attached a guide to help diagnose tire issues and this one is at the top of the page to the far right. Cheaper tires show this earlier but it happens to all tires. Based on the rest of the tire, I'd guess that the alignment and balance are all in good shape.

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bconte..._Steer.pdf
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Pd6cas2 , MCRENT , rrod , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.