What can cause this wear
09-03-2019, (Subject: What can cause this wear ) 
RE: What can cause this wear
(08-27-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-27-2019 )Creek Wrote:  The crown of the road will do that. It is always putting stress on the tires.

The crown in the road should never do that if you have good/proper alignment.

Well I am going to have to disagree on that. Drive on a well crowned road and then let go of steering wheel. You will drift to the right. Good alignment or not.
replyreply
the wear isnt all the way around was only in about a foot and a half section of the tire and its a steer tire new in december but was out of round from new so it lost 1/16th or so of tread being put on a tread rounding machine. i beleive its an alignment issue trucks at shop now getting 2 injectors replaced under warranty then thursday its going for 2 new steers and an alignment. i think my rears got knocked out as my inside tires on rear have their inside edge treads wearing faster than the rest so hopefully trucks back to full steam by days end thursday.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(09-03-2019 )Creek Wrote:  
(08-27-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-27-2019 )Creek Wrote:  The crown of the road will do that. It is always putting stress on the tires.

The crown in the road should never do that if you have good/proper alignment.

Well I am going to have to disagree on that. Drive on a well crowned road and then let go of steering wheel. You will drift to the right. Good alignment or not.

I suppose we will have to gracefully disagree on it then ...

maybe that is your experience with it, but I can assure you that if you set up your rear tandems for correcting crown in the road, then no extra wear (due to crown in road) will happen to that outer passenger steer tire. - I have more than 1.3 million miles on my truck,.. I do all my own axle alignments including having had them completely out of the truck and back in a few times, and have never experienced that kind of wear. There is no absolute reason that a truck cannot be set so that the crown in the road is compensated via the drive axles (+ proper caster) vs letting the steer tires eat rubber off them all the time. -- take those blinders off and FIRE THE MECHANIC WHO IS DOING S#$IT ALIGNMENTS ON YOUR TRUCK!!!!

-- My truck does not "drift to the right" either. -- it never has,.. not even when it was brand spanking new, not even the first day I drove it for the first time, and it still does not to this day. - I have to say though, that the mega-fleet i purchased it from,.. the first day it arrived on their lot, they adjusted the axles for the entire truck before it was given to me (brand new truck with only 13 miles on it). -- Hence, why I stood there, watching them,,.. and asked "why did you offset the rear axles like that?" ... and the reply was "because of more than 2,000 trucks in the fleet, offsetting them a bit prevents eating steer tires vs. when they are perfectly straight. Adjusting it a bit saves us a bunch of money on tires every year". ... They then went on to tweak and adjust on several other things as well that they knew they had repeating problems with. Things like re-torquing air-bag retaining bolts that tend to come loose on new truck, re-torquing the u-bolts to maximum allowed torque, grinding out the alignment stud holes for the front air bags to prevent pre-mature failure when they move around/settle., replacing the levelling valves with an updated valve body, re-torquing the tranny mounting bolts, a bunch of other things.

Guy stood there and (roughly) said to me that these newer trucks are like buying a cbhineesuim machine tool. - You gotta take it apart and finish/fix all the crap the maker was in too much of a hurry to do properly on a friday afternoon. When you buy and send 500 at a time into service, you tend to see that repeating pattern of mistakes pretty fast.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DSTdriver , Magard , Waterloo
09-04-2019, (Subject: What can cause this wear ) 
I wish I had access to the know how and data that these mega fleets must have. I’ll bet the got numbers on all sorts of things like fuel economy between and operating costs between different manufacturers of trucks. I was watching some YouTube dummy today with his big square Pete getting 5.25 mpg saying it was no big deal because he just passes the extra cost on too the broker. I’ll bet that’s working out real well about now.... not.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(09-04-2019 )Magard Wrote:  I wish I had access to the know how and data that these mega fleets must have. I’ll bet the got numbers on all sorts of things like fuel economy between and operating costs between different manufacturers of trucks. I was watching some YouTube dummy today with his big square Pete getting 5.25 mpg saying it was no big deal because he just passes the extra cost on too the broker. I’ll bet that’s working out real well about now.... not.

Every time I go to HQ, I visit and ask the maintenance shop what I can expect next for failures and things my truck is going to face. There has been countless times they completely predicted the things that I have seen, and at just about the mileage they said it was going to happen as well.

The maint. schedule I created as an example in my book (also shown HERE ) was based on both the maint. schudule for a prostar, combined with many of their experiences and recommendations, and I also included a lot of what I have seen many times over on people's trucks myself as well.

I use this maint. schedule and am very thorough about filling it out and keeping after the things in it. - It has save me lots and lots of money and kept me away from a tow hook countless times.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Those new steer tires, have them high speed balance them. That way you will know if the tire is in the round and properly balanced. My ProStar pulls slightly to the right going down the road, but the tires wear as they should, normal wear. I check pressures regularly and keep them at 110 psi. I also purchase the 16 ply tires vs 14 ply. These Internationals are always nose heavy, at least mine is, even without the moose slayer bumper. Check those pin bushings too, along with the torque rods up between the frame rails. They have a life around 600,000 to 700,000 miles if pulling heavy and less if off road. At least that has been my experience. If and when they need to be replaced, the u-bolts holding the axles should be replaced. The dealers usually want an arm and a leg, I had mine made at a fab shop for 70% less than the stealership wanted.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Most spring and suspension shops will bend and thread whatever u bolts you bring them on site at a way better price than most places
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze
Yeah the guy we go to when my dad replaced spread axle tires be throughout 4 tires 1 for a bead that would not seat correctly and 3 out a round all brand new virgin tires he then made the distributor make a hundred 50 mile trip with eight more tires and sit there until all 8 tires were installed on the trailer and were correct

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(09-04-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Yeah the guy we go to when my dad replaced spread axle tires be throughout 4 tires 1 for a bead that would not seat correctly and 3 out a round all brand new virgin tires he then made the distributor make a hundred 50 mile trip with eight more tires and sit there until all 8 tires were installed on the trailer and were correct

I do something similar...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...46#pid7646

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.