Shimming oil pump
02-23-2016, (Subject: Shimming oil pump ) 
Shimming oil pump
Is the guy from Nebraska (I think) that did the tests shimming the oil pump to increase pressure still on here? Mine is now shimmed and I was wondering how he or anyone else was doing with it. On average my oil pressure is up 10-15 lbs at cruise rpm, and about 5 at idle, at operating temp. Seems good to me. I just wanted to hear from anyone else that did it.
replyreply
02-24-2016, (Subject: Shimming oil pump ) 
RE: Shimming oil pump
gearhead and i had a discussion about this the other day. I used to be against but im slowly leaning towards its a good thing and working - i see so many cam failures and the pressure is so low in the top end.

im coming over to your side! slowly but surely.
replyreply
(02-24-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  gearhead and i had a discussion about this the other day. I used to be against but im slowly leaning towards its a good thing and working - i see so many cam failures and the pressure is so low in the top end.

He shimmed it when he did my inframe, at my request.
replyreply
your oil pressure seems a wee bit low, troubleshoot your oil pressure sensor and harness, you might have a bad sensor.

ps...make sure that you have the new Lubricating Oil Filter By-pass Valve installed...PN# 4357477

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
I think you miss understood him his oilpressure is up from factory.
replyreply
(02-24-2016 )Hedley Wrote:  your oil pressure seems a wee bit low, troubleshoot your oil pressure sensor and harness, you might have a bad sensor.

ps...make sure that you have the new Lubricating Oil Filter By-pass Valve installed...PN# 4357477

I used to run 30-35 psi, depending on temp. 35 at highway speed. And between 15-20 at idle. Also depending on temp. It's now 45-50, and at least 20 at idle. It is very sensitive to temp and rpm. (I will say the reading on insite was always 1-2 lbs higher than the gauge.)
What about this bypass valve? How is it different?
replyreply
I put it in when overhauled it now comes in the inframe kits.Cummins was having problems with to much oil bypassing the oil filter.
replyreply
(02-24-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  I put it in when overhauled it now comes in the inframe kits.Cummins was having problems with to much oil bypassing the oil filter.

Great!!
replyreply
(02-24-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  gearhead and i had a discussion about this the other day. I used to be against but im slowly leaning towards its a good thing and working - i see so many cam failures and the pressure is so low in the top end.

My two cents from my Detroit days, both two strokers and S60, we always bumped up the main regulator 5 pounds to get better pressure at idle, as most truckies idle way to much, anything over 5% is criminal.
The bypass valve we left alone because detroits tend to have enough pressure at rpm and the bypass works well. If I remember correctly we used the special hardened stell washer for the bell housing bolts as a " shim" . Definitely saved engines, and especially those running the big lf750 bypass lube filters needed a bump up at idle.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.