Blown Turbo CM870
08-28-2019, (Subject: Blown Turbo CM870 ) 
Blown Turbo CM870
Hi,
i'm back again with some bad news and looking for some advice. 2006 KW T800, demandated by reputable person here. I had turbo go out approx two years ago almost to the day. Replaced the turbo with Cummins reman, and at that time had the programming check/redone by MB. (truck was deleted by previous owner) Anyway, today hauling gravel, and the driver started hearing a squealing noise, thought it was the CAC boot, as we found a small hole. Driving to the shop, and squealing got worse,and no power. Shut off truck at the shop, pulled of the CAC boot, and its full of oil. So i'm assuming the seals blew out on the turbo. Just thankful it didn't run away with oil getting into the intake!!!

I'm pulling turbo off now, called Cummins \winnipeg. they have reman turbo for $4300.CAD :(
which i knew was going to be the case from my previous experience. its just a big ouch.

Can anyone recommend anywhere else to get a turbo? I see some rebuilts online at HD Turbo with an actuator for $1800, and others for around 2300. Even with the exchange I'll save some money, but not sure of the quality?

Second, the driver said he noticed the boost pressure in the last day or two getting too high, usually it would make 38-39Lbs of boost, but said it would go over 40 now. he's a good driver, so he would back out of it to keep it under 40. Turbo actuator issue maybe?? i just changed it out a year ago.

third, What procedure should i follow to clean out the oil from the CAC, or does it need to be replaced?

We run a pyro in the pipe behind the turbo, and it will occasionaly get up to 900, usually 750-850 range, and the pyro on the outside of the manifold stays around 300-400. These should be safe temps? not causing shortened turbo life?

Thanks for the advice,
replyreply
08-28-2019, (Subject: Blown Turbo CM870 ) 
RE: Blown Turbo CM870
YTS Turbochargers LLC

296 Wilson Rd, Griffin, GA 30223
+1 787-675-1768 https://g.co/kgs/32K6cW

Heard a lot of good things about this place. Waterloo was there he says they are legit.

Very possible that it was a crappy reman and not anything the driver did, there are tons of them out there.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Andre_The_Giant , Waterloo , Sunrise
08-29-2019, (Subject: Blown Turbo CM870 ) 
Ive got one from YTS in my garage on standby. Damn thing is a work of art.

It'll be replacing my cummins reman when that time comes and it comes off. It'll end up being my spare.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Sunrise
careful with 870 remans. they are almost impossible to get right. The increased boost was the vgt sticking too high. it was starting to fail.
replyreply
so it's best to go with the Cummins reman?
replyreply
(08-29-2019 )tsolson Wrote:  so it's best to go with the Cummins reman?

Not at all. They don't seem to last.

replyreply
(08-29-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  

I have helped lots of people replace turbo's with certified remans in the past. Never had any kind of real problem with one. If one dies prematurely, it is almost always something that caused it.

=====

I would however be curious to know at what rpm was the turbo set for throwing an alarm for over-spooling in the de-mandate program you are running? -- or has that alarm been disabled?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-29-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-29-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  

I have helped lots of people replace turbo's with certified remans in the past. Never had any kind of real problem with one. If one dies prematurely, it is almost always something that caused it.

=====

I would however be curious to know at what rpm was the turbo set for throwing an alarm for over-spooling in the de-mandate program you are running? -- or has that alarm been disabled?

This turbo overspeed thing on a demandated 870 seems to be common. Mine does it and so do others I've talked to on this forum(known good tunes)We watch the boost very closely in a hard pull or it will overspeed and flash a cel

replyreply
most of mine are set between 105k and 120k depending on what i needed.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.