Cleaning Headlights
08-28-2019, (Subject: Cleaning Headlights ) 
Shocked Cleaning Headlights
Anyone know the best product and way to clean the headlights on a prostar?
replyreply
08-29-2019, (Subject: Cleaning Headlights ) 
RE: Cleaning Headlights
Try aluminum polish, it works pretty darn good.Or you can pay a good detail guy to do it if you know of one.. they will sand and polish them to look brand new.. Or you can buy a kit online to do it your self.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: david24 , Brock
Ive both done the polish and clearcoat. Clearcoat has more gloss and longer lasting results, but I think Ill leave that to tinting taillights (drop in a few drops of black paint and mix before spraying)...not for the truck.

Clean the lenses with mag wheel polish and wax them. Requires more maintenance, but not by much and far easier.

Minor hazing can be done with a rag and polish, but some of the worst ones Ive wet sanded with some extra fine and buffed out. If they dont cooperate at that level, it might be best to replace them.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SIDE_SHOW , david24 , Brock
I use off bug spray it works pretty dang good just spray it on and wipe it off with a microfiber towel takes 5 minutes it doesn't last very long and then you have to do it again I do it about once a month because no matter what I use to do mine they get back the same way since the seal is broken... It's time for some new ones for me too thinking about going with some that have the nice Amber Halo in them
replyreply
 Thanks given by: david24 , Brock
proper way of restoring the ouside of clear plastic lens headlights is...

* de-greassing them with a degrease that will not melt plastics.

* Then gently and uniformly sanding to 480-grit wet sanding to remove dirt .

* Then gently and uniformly sanding to 600-grit wet sanding.

* Then gently and uniformly sanding to 800-grit wet sanding.

* Then gently and uniformly sanding to 1000-grit wet sanding.

* Then gently and uniformly sanding to 1500-grit wet sanding.

* Then gently and uniformly sanding to 2000-grit wet sanding.

1000 - 2000 can be found in this kit that I use for mine ... https://amzn.to/2ZB3xaO

* Then boil some Dichloromethylene in a mason jar on a hot plate with a rubber tube in the top, use the fumes coming out of the tube to easily blend the now sanded to 2000 grit lens surface to a 100% clear finish (this method is known as vapor polishing). This will also anneal its outer layer and protect it from scratching and road dust as much as possible, so that it will last a very long time just like when the lens was new from the factory. (similar to this: https://youtu.be/gs8nAaJzu9U ).

it is a bit more work than simply polishing or restore methods, but it also lasts much much longer to boot.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , quickrigs
I'm a headlight nazi so my way may be a little more then your loking to do and besides, Rawze has a pretty thorough procedure there....

But if your looking for a quick cheap fix to get you out of a bind, buy a 600 grit sanding sponge and a can of walmart clear coat. Sand it good then apply clear coat, itll amaze you how good a job it does.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , quickrigs

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.