New to me 09 prostar
06-07-2016, (Subject: New to me 09 prostar ) 
New to me 09 prostar
Hello and great forum

I just purchased a 09 Prostar premium it was a Werner truck 435st cummins CPL 2732 13 speed trany Verry clean runs good I bought it from the 2nd owner who bought it for his brother in law to run the road and he leased it on with Landstar his brother only ran 30k in 6 months and gave him back the keys the truck sat for over 8 months while trying to sell for 55k he bought the truck from Jorden Truck Sales and Jorden put a new EGR valve and a EGR cooler on it the the new owner put 8 new Yokohamas on the rears new a/c compressor,receiver drier and expansion valve..truck has a Thermo king APU that works power invert-er,and diesel heater under the bunk that also works.....

1, The a/c in the bunk is ice cold the dash is only cool I did find the unit that opens and closes the blend door to be erratic and ordered a new one but don't think that is the problem even if i manually close the blend door it still isn't great i happen to notice there isn't any shutoffs for the heater core thinking they were removed when the APU was installed? only a thought

2, there is 555k on the truck should i do the rods and mains or do an oil sample and see what it says ?

3, should i run the overhead?

4, should i clean the DPF and the intake also change the doser valve..what is the cost to do this? I drove the truck from upper state NY to Boston with no lights or problems I am just looking to possibly avoid any problems on the road....Thanks in advance ./uploads/201606/post_2085_1465320108_42b74a469ab3720776fb32f5820775cb.jpg
replyreply
RE: New to me 09 prostar
First, get a inline 5 adapter off eBay. It will save you tons of downtime. Second do a get tuneup. As far as the a/c all I can think is have it evac/recharged. Loves charged 109 on mine. It was overcharged from the dealer when they replaced it. I'd leave the doc cleaning till you get insite so you can see the regen history. I would seriously consider having one of our reputable members remove that mandate. As for the rods and mains I'd leave them alone as you stated it had a new engine in it already.
replyreply
If it were mine the first thing i'd do would be check the history on insite. if the number was ok id do the egr tune up as explained by Rawze. He has many youtube videos that will show you what to do. If #'s are high then Id be looking at the mandate fix........ If you are in Georgia we would be glad to look at that for you and IM sure gearhead or unilevers would do the same.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: earnies2
awesome looking beast, I would recommend that you run the overhead, it is an inexpensive repair and you can have your camshafts checked out for wear, replace the EGT and IMAP sensors unless they look new and clean out your EGR valve, have your Vin run at your local Navistar dealer to make sure that you have the correct alternator, a lot of the electrical issues on that model truck are due to insufficient amperage.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=33

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
06-08-2016, (Subject: New to me 09 prostar ) 
While pretty much every member here will say to get Insite, which you should, I have Insite and I am only 30 miles from Boston. If you want to check the regen history and ECM history now, I could swing by if you want. That way you don't have to wait a week or so for Insite to get delivered to you.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
(06-07-2016 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  If it were mine the first thing i'd do would be check the history on insite. if the number was ok id do the egr tune up as explained by Rawze. He has many youtube videos that will show you what to do. If #'s are high then Id be looking at the mandate fix........ If you are in Georgia we would be glad to look at that for you and IM sure gearhead or unilevers would do the same.

You're a good man.
You made good recommendations.
And didn't try pressure him into the mandate fix.
replyreply
(06-08-2016 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  While pretty much every member here will say to get Insite, which you should, I have Insite and I am only 30 miles from Boston. If you want to check the regen history and ECM history now, I could swing by if you want. That way you don't have to wait a week or so for Insite to get delivered to you.

Heck of a guy to offer to help him out.
replyreply
(06-08-2016 )overshot Wrote:  Heck of a guy to offer to help him out.
Anything to help a driver out.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.