Midbed Ammonia Sensor
08-29-2019, (Subject: Midbed Ammonia Sensor ) 
Midbed Ammonia Sensor
Engine: 2013 ISX15 CM2350
Milage: 550,000

Issue #1:

After getting a 3165 fault code, I was able to get the truck to Lubbock where I met up with SnailExpress. He connected his Insite to my truck and found that the 'Final' temp sensor on the SCR was the one that threw that code because it had read a temp that was higher than allowed maximum. And actually at the time it issued the code it was reading a higher temp than any other temp sensor in the after-treatment chain. Sergye had a possible theory as to why it did that, but obviously no concrete proof.

Is there anyone else with an idea?

Issue #2:

See attached image. The 'Midbed' ammonia sensor stating "Reading not stable."

When we ran a forced regen this was the reading we initially saw. However, as the temps increased and during the majority of the regen that reading for that sensor went to "Reading stable." And as the temps finally cooled back down after regen was complete, the reading went back to "Reading not stable."

For what it's worth, the truck performed almost perfectly during the regen. No hiccups what-so-ever. All readings were good, temps good, everything performing as spec'd.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with that Midbed Ammonia Sensor to give that sort of reading when cool and yet when hot reading correctly?   
replyreply
RE: Midbed Ammonia Sensor
check the desomp tube for buildup?...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...07#pid1807

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-29-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  check the desomp tube for buildup?...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...07#pid1807

On Dec 30 2018:

Doser Valve was replaced
Sensor Replaced
Decomp Tube was fully cleaned

Is it likely that it would be built up again to the point that it would be starting to cause problems?
replyreply
You should realize by now that you could very well be fighting that uphill battle that is simply due to age and wear on the engine and all its major systems, trying to keep those emissions sensors happy.

As these engines get older and older, there is not enough factory programming "wiggle room" that has enough slack in them to compensate for age and wear. This is especially true for the 2250's and 2350's.

>NOx sensors at the cost of several hundred dollars each (3 of them ) are only good for about 250k miles at a time before reading incorrectly and throwing everything off key, causing ghost errors.

> SCR can eventually gets face plugged with ash (500 - 700k miles typically), and needs replacing to the tune of $8,000+

> DOC and DPF eventually get old and loose their precious metals no matter what you do (400k miles or less typically) and need replacing to the tune of $6000+ or more for the pair.

> DPF Doser injector, and DEF Doser injector wear out or clog up about every 250-300k miles at a cost of several hundred dollars each.

> IMAP and other intake and EGR sensors clogs up 1 - 2 times a year for the cost of several hundreds of dollars.

> EGR Delta-P sensor and DPF Delta-P sensors start reading incorrectly as little as 100k miles sometimes at the cost of a couple hundred dollars each.

> EGR cooler eventually looses its ability to properly cool EGR gas into the intake and becomes inneficient. Turbo is always fighting this inefficiency, little problems whth whole system set in, this is typically after about 300 - 400k miles, but most of the time it does not get replaced or cleaned out until the engine gets 500+k miles because everyone blames every other system instead of the cooleritself.

> EGR valve wears out and gets leaky, starts sticking, need cleaning out every year, or replacing after about 300k miles to the tune of several hundreds of dollars.

> Cross tubing, feed tubing, and EGR circuits glog repeatedly, need regualr removal and clean-out every year just to slow down the repeating failures.

I did not even mention the exponentially expensive labor costs of all this if a person is dumb enough to take their truck to a stealershit for all these types of problems. Sad part is that msot people who own trucks DO run off th these ridiculously expensive incompetent OE certified places only to get half a repair and to get ripped off over and over all while they sit on that couch watching TV in that repair shops lounge, then spending 150+/hr or more while they get wallet-rapped!.

=============
The reality is that ...

I.E.> At some point in the engine's life, all the maint. in the world will only make it last a few more months ... a few more miles .. before it complains in an endless cycle that becomes more and more difficult to satisfy without replacing expensive components over and over, and eventually giving in to either A legal custom program that is more lenient than factory to help keep the system from complaining so much, a de-mandate all together, or re-building major components, not including the engine itself at some point just to keep it in compliance. <-- take your pick.

If something I owned started to become unreliable for any reason, I would not be driving it. That is no way to run a trucking business, and it is not profitable. Besides that, no one wants t do business with Mr. "unreliable-trucking.borke-down.com" and I don't blame them. <- something would have to give.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-29-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  ...
If something I owned started to become unreliable for any reason, I would not be driving it. That is no way to run a trucking business, and it is not profitable. Besides that, no one wants t do business with Mr. "unreliable-trucking.borke-down.com" and I don't blame them. <- something would have to give.

While I have another 14 months left on my warranty and while there's only another $3500 or so of total availability on the After-treatment side, there is full coverage on the engine, drive-line, diff/rear and tranny. So I don't have any interest to do anything that's going to mess with that until November of 2020.

That said, I'm riding the horse that brought me. And I hear you on all the different parts and pieces and their expenses. As of today, (I haven't hooked it up yet) I have Insite and my Adapter, so I will be able to keep a good eye on things going forward and I'm sure that will only help in keeping things running. I have admittedly spent a lot of money at the dealer since owning the truck almost 2 years ago, but I've reached my limit of no further dear brother. The warranty is great, but everything leading up to the actual replacement of the defective part and the part itself is all on me. And it's rare that a person can go into a dealership and spend less than a $1000. So going forward, IF I go into a dealership, I'm going to know upfront what's wrong and what needs to be done. My hope is that most of the issues I come across I will be able to handle them on my own and I'd be happy if I never had to touch that warranty again.

I can inspect that Decomp tube, my question is this, do I need to remove the Doser valve in order to visual inspect that tube, or can I take a peak with the Doser still connected?
replyreply
warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

Someone brainwashed you and your business plan and false hope at the stealershits is nothing but a pipe dream that is going to keep you broke and put you out of business.

I guess some people have to learn the hard way by way of repeating bad decisions.

Keep up that wonderful way of thinking there, it has kept you broke thus far .. no need to change now, as you might actually wake the f$ck up and smell he reality that what you have done so far absolutely sucks!

I'll wave my arms out the window as I pass you by, while you sit at that shi#t$hole stealersh$it waiting for that "free repair" while i take all your loads out from under you and under-cut your bids by more than a dollar and smile all the way to the bank.

(just putting it into perspective for ya there,.. the beer is talkin tonite).

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Chamberpains , Waterloo
(08-29-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

Someone brainwashed you and your business plan and false hope at the stealershits is nothing but a pipe dream that is going to keep you broke and put you out of business.

I guess some people have to learn the hard way by way of repeating bad decisions.

Keep up that wonderful way of thinking there, it has kept you broke thus far .. no need to change now, as you might actually wake the f$ck up and smell he reality that what you have done so far absolutely sucks!

I'll wave my arms out the window as I pass you by, while you sit at that shi#t$hole stealersh$it waiting for that "free repair" while i take all your loads out from under you and under-cut your bids by more than a dollar and smile all the way to the bank.

(just putting it into perspective for ya there,.. the beer is talkin tonite).

Guy what is your problem? I posed a question about a Midbed Ammonia Sensor and you’re setting here telling me Im broke and how you’re going to take my loads from me? Hopefully your night gets better than it’s been.
replyreply
08-30-2019, (Subject: Midbed Ammonia Sensor ) 
(08-29-2019 )kozakvod Wrote:  
(08-29-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  ...

While I have another 14 months left on my warranty and while there's only another $3500 or so of total availability on the After-treatment side, there is full coverage on the engine, drive-line, diff/rear and tranny. So I don't have any interest to do anything that's going to mess with that until November of 2020.

That said, I'm riding the horse that brought me. And I hear you on all the different parts and pieces and their expenses. As of today, (I haven't hooked it up yet) I have Insite and my Adapter, so I will be able to keep a good eye on things going forward and I'm sure that will only help in keeping things running. I have admittedly spent a lot of money at the dealer since owning the truck almost 2 years ago, but I've reached my limit of no further dear brother. The warranty is great, but everything leading up to the actual replacement of the defective part and the part itself is all on me. And it's rare that a person can go into a dealership and spend less than a $1000. So going forward, IF I go into a dealership, I'm going to know upfront what's wrong and what needs to be done. My hope is that most of the issues I come across I will be able to handle them on my own and I'd be happy if I never had to touch that warranty again.

I can inspect that Decomp tube, my question is this, do I need to remove the Doser valve in order to visual inspect that tube, or can I take a peak with the Doser still connected?
have you registered your engine on quick serve. The procedure for decomp tub is there. It’s no where near the doser injector. You can look through all the part schematics there and kinda get the layout of things.
replyreply
08-30-2019, (Subject: Midbed Ammonia Sensor ) 
(08-29-2019 )kozakvod Wrote:  Guy what is your problem? I posed a question about a Midbed Ammonia Sensor and you’re setting here telling me Im broke and how you’re going to take my loads from me? Hopefully your night gets better than it’s been.

(the beer is still talkin'...)

My point is that your posts have implied that you have been caught in that cycle of false hope that too many people rely on these days. Relying on warranty while most go broke waiting for that free OE sh#it-quality repair that will only be done half-arssed at best.

Your last post implies you have started to realize this, and are now trying to break away a bit get on top of things (cheers to this, btw). That is a great step forward, so my last post was simply a sarcasm of your previous actions. However, you say your going to continue to rely on that warranty that might just well break you in the mean time (you mentioned something "November of 2020")?.

The irony of what you posted is very typical of people who come on here, afraid to take matters into their own hands, afraid of that all-mighty piece of paper or promise that will only land them with grief IF THEIR ENGINE DID FAIL because it is worthless!. You think that warranty company is going to pay to have that engine re-bult the right way, then you got some serious drugs your smokin there. They will only pay for about a half arsse garbage minimum s$it-show job at best,... and dictate where you go (some OE shi#t$hole!) and you will get a half-arssed garbage inframe not worth 2 cents in my book. -- i got one better... how about you call them up and ask them if you did the work yourself, how much of the internals and inframe parts they would pay for ....

you will get silence and an excuse... and more silence...

-- THROW THE THOUGHT OF A WARRANTY IN THE TRASH AT THIS POINT!!!! --- DO WHAT IS NECESSARY TO FIX WHAT YOU GOT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!! - The money you save will be that revenue I was talking about for how easily I could use and cut your customers out from under you with.

In other words,.. if you can't compete with bottom dollar profiteers like me, then you are only likely to to hate your situation by the end of next year. We are headed for a recession this next year ... like it or not... fuel prices are highly likely to rise along with it ... ADD TO THAT, the full-autonomous trucks that the mega-fleeces are gearing up to steal freight with, means that everyone in our industry is going to bite into that s#it sandwich,.. What are you going to do about it so that guys just like me don't come along and steal your customers from you while you are sitting half the time repeating history because your afraid to "void that worthless piece of paper".

Hopefully this clarifies things for everyone, ... We can only watch and see what the future brings.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.