intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar
08-19-2019, (Subject: intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar ) 
intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar
I have been fighting electrical issues between corroded fuses in the panel and intermittent non start issues where I have to jump a hot to the ignition relay in the panel the start the truck, Does anyone know where the panel power comes from when the key is turned on. I am thinking maybe needs a new key switch.
replyreply
08-20-2019, (Subject: intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar ) 
RE: intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar
Where is the corrosion? In the main fuse panel? If water is getting in, seal the roof where the fiberglass cap attaches to the roof. I used clear silicon caulk, around a half dozen tubes did the trick, went all the way around to the sleeper fairings.

Electrical... Here are two links. This is the one for your truck...

http://bodybuilder.navistar.com/General/...002122.pdf

Here is the main site... http://bodybuilder.navistar.com/General/BBcircuitIX.htm

If the truck has sat for awhile, you more than likely have a bit of lot rot. Very common on these newer trucks. If mine sits it acts up like that, I have a new ignition switch I bought last year, same issues... I cleaned up the fuse panel and replaced all fuses, along with inspecting and fixing any wiring in the dash. Issue went away.

Same with the switches, the truck sits, it takes a day or two to get them working properly. It is annoying as hell, but I have found if I just work the switches going down the road they eventually start making contact and in a day or two are working like new

The fuses in the ProStar are notorious for acting up, they will look fine, but will not work. They get a slight bit of glaze on them and it is all over. The 5 amp fuses seem to be the most common to stop working. I know I am always in the panel replacing fuses and for quite awhile fixing the AC, which now appears fixed after too many years of issues.

It was to the point I pulled all of the plastic dash pieces out from under the dash, including the dog house. Everything is exposed from the HVAC control knobs down to the floor, under the steering and fuse panel, got real sick and tired of removing and replacing.

To replace the cup holder, I went to Home Depot and bought some pipe nipple, created my own coffee cup holder with some nipple and PVC 3 inch pipe. Also installed a fuse panel, which with all of the electronic stuff we have, was a smart addition.

Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Blocks
https://amzn.to/31Q6Vjw

Body Builder is your friend, copy it and leave it on your laptop, if you keep that truck you will need it. And I would rip all of that plastic crap out of the truck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
08-22-2019, (Subject: intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar ) 
Hi Waterloo
Thanks for the info, where did you get the circuit breakers and relays. I was thinking of just replacing the circuit breakers with just fuses as I have never had one blow yet. I am going to clean all the connections also. Did the new ign switch fix anything just curious,
replyreply
08-23-2019, (Subject: intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar ) 
The relays can be bought on line or any truck dealership should stock them. Also try FleetPride or any large truck part supplier or even auto parts stores. Check pricing if you use a dealership, they like to soak us on these little items. A .10 fuse will sell for $50 at the dealership, when you can get a dozen of the same fuse at Napa for $5.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: boondocker
08-23-2019, (Subject: intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar ) 
I will be home soon I post what I find Thanks
replyreply
08-24-2019, (Subject: intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar ) 
I hope this isn't too off topic. My fuse panel stayed dry when I had water leak problems.

Rain leaked real bad from the center mount on the exterior sun visor, where it attaches to the roof. FYI, those two little hex bolts are only guides for mounting, that thing is glued to the roof. On mine, the glue came undone only on the center mount. Another FYI, the visor comes off by removing the clearance lights and removing bolts deep inside. Don't pull on the visor, those glued mounts break too easy.
replyreply
08-24-2019, (Subject: intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar ) 
My prostar leaked from the seam that's about 10" above the windshield where the windshield sheet metal is crimped to the cab roof sheet metal. It was dripping all over the fuse panel causing havoc so I sprayed some flexseal on it and it was good after.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
09-07-2019, (Subject: intermittent ignition power, 2015 prostar ) 
Ok I checked everything to no luck. I removed the 3 screws that hold the fuse panel in as i was removing it things lit up. I had found a bunch of tarnished connectors and scraped and cleaned them . everything is still lit and will try it again this week. Thanks for the replies. Steve
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.