ISX White sweet smoke upon cold start up
09-06-2019, (Subject: ISX White sweet smoke upon cold start up ) 
ISX White sweet smoke upon cold start up
2009 ISX550, date mfg 06-08, in an 09, KWT800-w/9055 50Ton wrecker body. 305xxx miles 134xx hours. Fuel mileage 4.75MPG each quarter of IFTA tax reporting. Has for last 130K miles used a little anti freeze 1/2 gallon per week or two, do not know previous history. Demandated for last 130K.

Last 2 months, AM's cold start started to white smoke a little, cleared in a second or two. Progressed to smoking for 3-4 seconds and rough engine idle for 4-10 seconds. In last 4 weeks, 5 times starter hits a tough cylinder when cranking on cold start up. 1 time starter stopped cold on initial cranking of engine would not roll over, we barred engine backwards more that a full revolution and tried starter again, cranked over and started ok. in last week, 2 times started engine ok some rough idle,, rolled out to roadway and for 2+ blocks the white smoke was so thick and of large volume, could not see any thing behind me, then cleared. Truck goes 50-500 miles almost every day, is started every day except maybe weekends.

Antifreeze is my thought, leaking where?? Through, cracked head, head gasket, liner??
Is it possible for fuel to white smoke, snow white, and smell sweet like antifreeze?? If so, injector cup?? bad injector??

I am trying to find a back up truck to put this one down but at moment keep on towing.
Any advice is appreciated. Easiest way to trouble shoot. Thank you for your consideration.

Hopefully I have followed all site rules on posting. Sure is a good site to learn about ISX engines.
Bob

User's Signature: Heavy Towing/Recovery makes the juices flow!
replyreply
RE: ISX White sweet smoke upon cold start up
I’m sure someone will chime with better info than I’m going to give. But do block tester to see where that leads you. I drove an 06 mack dumptruck that did same thing. Except if you left it idling like to go in store or something for few mins you’d see white smoke start puffing. Then look out when you actually went to leave cause nobody would be able to see behind me. Smoked so darn bad. Clear up after a min or so. And run just fine after. Ended up being number 1 cylinder on head was cracked. Had to replace front head.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: carco
Sounds like a cracked head or low liner. Pressurise the cooling system and leave the truck overnight with the oil pan removed. You'll see coolant running down one of the bores the next day if this is your problem.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: carco , Waterloo
(09-06-2019 )Soulreaver0102 Wrote:  I’m sure someone will chime with better info than I’m going to give. But do block tester to see where that leads you. I drove an 06 mack dumptruck that did same thing. Except if you left it idling like to go in store or something for few mins you’d see white smoke start puffing. Then look out when you actually went to leave cause nobody would be able to see behind me. Smoked so darn bad. Clear up after a min or so. And run just fine after. Ended up being number 1 cylinder on head was cracked. Had to replace front head.

Yes sir, I often stop and let idle never see white smoke, or any after taking off from a stop. Rest stops, truck stops or accident scenes which can set and idle for 2-4 hours. However may be early in the process???

replyreply
(09-06-2019 )LRT1549 Wrote:  That motor is known for liner fretting which causes liners to sink. Also could be a head gasket

Either way. if that motor stops when cranking it could be because of a piston hydro-locking. Continuing to crank it under this condition could bend a push rod.

Find the problem before running that motor any more.

Have not noticed any additional coolant pressure problem. This truck sometimes grosses 89K for for up to 500 miles no problems. Today was 3.75 hours accident scene and 40 mile tow @140K gross.
Engine will still have some coolant pressure in morning and warm temp of engine in AM 14 hours later.
I do believe you are correct I need to put it down but I have no spare truck at this time.
Thank you for the help.

replyreply
(09-06-2019 )Signature620 Wrote:  Sounds like a cracked head or low liner. Pressurise the cooling system and leave the truck overnight with the oil pan removed. You'll see coolant running down one of the bores the next day if this is your problem.

Yes, I think maybe a cracked head or low liner. but do not have enough experience with ISX and not much more with the class 8 engines. Can the liner/head gasket issue seal itself after a few seconds/minute or two until cooled enough over night to seep some coolant,, so start up white smokes for a few seconds until resealed???
Have no signs of coolant in the oil fill tube clean, dipstick and tube clean, however loaded is almost always 70 to 140K and empty is 52-53K depending on fuel load, and time can be from 2-3 hours to 11 hours a day. Is it possible to burn off-evaporate all coolant traces from the oil system???
Thanks for the help.

replyreply
(09-06-2019 )carco Wrote:  ...
Demandated for last 130K.

90% of all delete programs will destroy an ISX with liner iisues + head gasket failure(s) in roughly couple hundred thousand miles or less. If it was not done by one of the people recommended directly on this site here, then have that program checked ASAP!> - Many people swear by that delete program or the guy who did it... but in reality, most simply trade DPF problems going away for engine failures instead because if half-arssed, over-priced garbage methods and s%it programming.

ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

Sounds like your learning curb has possibly just begun, and the cards are stacked against you.

What you are likely to find next is that most shops these days can;t build that engine worth a damned any more either, especially the OEM network of certified nitwits!.
incompetence just like these is what is very common any more http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid41315

and for the inframe (if that is what it needs) -- http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid35624

as far as testing the head, etc. for liner, gasket, etc. goes...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid38698

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: carco , JMBT
09-25-2019, (Subject: ISX White sweet smoke upon cold start up ) 
I was told the reprogramming was a previous year pre-regen Cummins ISX program same hp and torque.

replyreply
09-25-2019, (Subject: ISX White sweet smoke upon cold start up ) 
That right there screams bad programming. Not how it is done.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.