Oil Pump Shimming
09-10-2019, (Subject: Oil Pump Shimming ) 
Oil Pump Shimming
Doing the rebuild on my CM870 Got the new cummins Oil pump. On the end where you would normally remove to get to the spring, this pump has a plug instead of the cotter pin. Is this a new design, and can it be shimmed?
Thanks everyone.
replyreply
RE: Oil Pump Shimming
i have NOT been shimming the updated pumps.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 05ISX450 , marek4792 , Volvo8873
I've put on 2 non shimmed and max oil pressure was like 38... The last 4 I've done I used 6 penny's It jumps it up to like 42 to 44.....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , DSTdriver
Does Cummins feel that more oil pressure is not needed? They could build a pump to supply whatever oil pressure they wanted.

Me personally I like oil pressure.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
(09-10-2019 )Mattman Wrote:  Does Cummins feel that more oil pressure is not needed? They could build a pump to supply whatever oil pressure they wanted.

Me personally I like oil pressure.

*(what I have been told, is only here as speculation )...
On some of the older model engines (pre-ISX), they had a problem with them spinning bearings as they got older. high oil pressure would sometimes get behind the shells and make them want to spin. - The red maker lowered the pressure on all their engines to help stop it. - Not sure if the ISX has ever seen that problem, but some phone calls to them in the past has revealed that the ISX oil circuits are designed for withstanding 80-psi max, though I would not want to run one more than about 48-50 psi due to seeing rear structure gasket getting leaky much beyone that on an older engine.

I know at about 45 psi+, the oil pressure and flow in the top end is significantly better. I would suspect that the pistons run cooler as well due to increased flow.

Of those who have been doing this mod now for years, no one has reported so far that they they have seen any negative effects from it that I know of outside of a person or 2 installing shimms incorrectly.

Mine has been done since my inframe, but also it has run a gallon of gear lube its whole life (all 1.3 million miles essentially) as well. No problems yet. It runs about 48 psi when cold and about 45 or so when hot.

just my own thoughts/exposure to it any ways.

BTW: Detroit still has this problem of spinning bearings as they get older, especially the DD15's but this only typically happens if you change the oil filters, oil, and fuel filters all at the same time. It happens due to dry-starts. Detroit recommends to never change the fuel filter until after you change the oil and oil filters, crank the engine up and let it build oil pressure again,.. then shut it down and replace the fuel filter separately to prevent this. - there have been many law-suits over this by detroit customers and oil change places over the years.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: quickrigs , DSTdriver , Mattman , Pd6cas2
09-11-2019, (Subject: Oil Pump Shimming ) 
(09-10-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  i have NOT been shimming the updated pumps.

What is the PSI you have been seeing with the updated pumps?

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
(09-10-2019 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  I've put on 2 non shimmed and max oil pressure was like 38... The last 4 I've done I used 6 penny's It jumps it up to like 42 to 44.....
Mr. Hagg,
Can you direct me on how to shim the new style oil pump with the plug.
Thanks, KW
replyreply
(09-11-2019 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  
(09-10-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  i have NOT been shimming the updated pumps.

What is the PSI you have been seeing with the updated pumps?

40-42. If you want higher you would need to shim.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.