Odd Engine fan behavior
09-13-2019, (Subject: Odd Engine fan behavior ) 
Odd Engine fan behavior
Truck is a 2011 prostar with a cummins. So sometimes my fan will "creep back on" and sometimes its fine. Like the fan will kick off or I will kick the manual override off, then after about 10 -15 seconds the fan kinda creeps back on. sometimes at like half go or 3/4 go. So then I flip the manual override on and the rest of the fan power returns. If i go to turn the manual override off immediately the fan wont turn off, if I give it a couple seconds of run time then flip it off, it will turn off for 10 - 15 seconds and creep back on.

It seems like It only does it sometimes, other times its fine. Also when the fan creeps back on and I don't intervene by manually turning on the fan, I can start to hear a squeaky belt noise or like a squeaky pulley noise of sorts. Any Ideas?
replyreply
RE: Odd Engine fan behavior
I’m thinking the fan selenoid. Follow the airline from your fan up to the firewall. At the firewall, you have to remove the air filter box to get to it, is a small valve. It has two or three push pull inlets and an electrical connection. Mine is attached to the frame work that the air filter assembly attaches to. Bet that is failing... You can find them at most parts stores, I bought one at FleetPride for around $20, dealer wanted double that. You got my best guess, first thing that came to my mind.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
Also turn your key on to the on position but don't start the truck. Walk to the front of the truck and listen for air leaks. Grab the fan hub and give it a wiggle. Make sure it's in good working order and you don't have a spring broken or bearings that are shot. This could also be The fan hub starting to go.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
Haha international quoted me 350 dollars for the solenoid. You guys have a part number?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Ricky
Holy smokes! Call the dealer and get the number, cross reference it, any big truck parts store should carry one. FleetPride, NAPA, etc. Bunch on eBay too, pretty common part. Try Freightliner too, they should stock it, or an equivalent that will work. I find Freightliner prices to be pretty good, much better than International by a long shot.
replyreply
Take it off and get the part # or take a picture of it and take it to a parts store.
replyreply
yeah did that, put a new one and seems to have been the problem. engine fan doesn't creep back on going down the road. Thanks guys
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.