New Truck Purchase Any Advise
09-15-2019, (Subject: New Truck Purchase Any Advise ) 
New Truck Purchase Any Advise
Im currently looking at a 2015 ProStar with a Cummins ISX. It has 450xxx miles, I found it in
Knight Fleet Truck sales. It's a beautiful truck and I'm very interested in the purchase.
Can i get some advise on what to pay extra attention too. I do have Insite and will be looking at the basics like Regen history, injector performance, but is there something more i can do ?. I am limited on some things with Insite so any help will be appreciated.
How can i tell if its consuming coolant ? or oil ?
Is this yr. affected by faulty fuel pump ?
Is it better to see original parts like turbo,dpf,scr, or is it better if they've been replaced?
what should i consider red flags ?
is Knight known for good fleet maintenance ?
replyreply
RE: New Truck Purchase Any Advise
(09-15-2019 )JHNDZ Wrote:  ...
It's a beautiful truck and I'm very interested in the purchase.

none of that counts if you can't keep it from being broke down all the time.

(09-15-2019 )JHNDZ Wrote:  is Knight known for good fleet maintenance ?

NO fleet does good maintenance unless you consider running the truck into the ground by the time it gets 500k on it proper maint. practices... things like 50k oil changes and a whole lot more...
here is what you can expect from any mega-fleece ....
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...18#pid6718

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , JHNDZ
You also did not mention what the rear ratios are. I would not give 3 =cents for it if it is anything taller than about 3.55's. - Those damn mega-fleets any more spec these truck so wrong, where they eat the engine up due to too tall rears + low rpm hammering all the damn time, truck can hardly get out of their own way, it is not even funny any more. first half its life, some A-hole with his foot in the floor all the way against that governor lugging the crap out of the liners so that 500k later it is in dire need of an inframe because the dips#it thinks it can go up every hill below 1400 rpm everywhere they go without cutting engine life in half.

Pretty polish, false promises, and the glee of truck purchase blinds people so badly they have no clue what they are getting into. Is the truck even spec'd properly for what you plan on using it for? - Roof height, rear ratio, etc. etc. etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo
I hear that a lot also. IT IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL TRUCK. And i'm thinking to myself, Another {Disaster truck lease waiting to happen}. LOL

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Pd6cas2
fleets do the minimum so that truck at most has had maybe 12 oil changes in 5 years. greased every 17,500 miles and parts replaced only when they had to be to make the truck move.

unless your buying a truck from a respectable O/O its going to have the least amount of maintenance possible done to it. and even with an O/O truck your arent gaurenteed good.

from what ive learned after buying my truck... find a truck with a nice body and skeleton with a blown engine pay 10g or less for the truck put a 35,000 Hag or uni engine into it have it properly tunned and call it a day.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo , Rounded_nut
If i remember right knight does a greasing everyn15k and oil change at 30k thenisx trucks were governed at 65 and turned about 1400 in 9th gear. They pulled prty decent for a mega fleet truck but that damn bedix brake and stability system was a disaster.
replyreply
I like Lonestar’s advise. The one big problem I’ve had trying to implement this plan is finding a truck with a bad engine. Then finding one that has decent specs. You could look for years and not find it. More than likely you find a decent truck for 40k. You spend another at least 40k ( minimalist over haul per Rawze’s specs. plus a clutch.)on it over the next two years. Then you have a good old truck. It is very hard to make $1200 dollar a month payments plus come up with 40k minimum over the next two years. That scenario comes out to be $2800 a month over the next 2 years. It’s down time plus coming up with wades of cash as breakdowns occur. If buying a use truck you better have a lot of cash to get through the hurdles. If buying a new truck. Better have a good work ethic and have some cash. But mostly need very good paying steady work to make the monthly strokes.

I deleted a bunch of stuff here and started it’s own thread. Not that relevant to this thread. I started “Ab 5” Dosgatos post below reflects this deleted material. Sorry for the deviation in the topic.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , JHNDZ
If it ends up affecting owners leased on, the suggestion of some is that having your own numbers would allow the trucking company to book loads as logistics do now.
Don't jump the gun. Uber is challenging this. It needs to work itself out.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
Uber already got a carveout from the bill. They fought and won there exemption.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.