Oil change with 10% gear oil
09-16-2019, (Subject: Oil change with 10% gear oil ) 
Oil change with 10% gear oil
Just did an oil change saturday, this is an ISC, takes 5 gallons. I put two quarts of the supertech in to top it off. All day today, I was able to smell the gear oil, is this normal? Truck does not burn much oil, about 2 quarts in 10k miles.
replyreply
RE: Oil change with 10% gear oil
Yes gear oil stinks pretty bad. You can smell it without it even running if you've got the valve cover off.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete
I found that STA-Lube GL-4 seems to have a lot less gear-lube smell to it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-17-2019, (Subject: Oil change with 10% gear oil ) 
The smell is coming out of the blow by tube. It will tame down in a week or so depending on how hard your running.
replyreply
09-17-2019, (Subject: Oil change with 10% gear oil ) 
15 years ago all diesel engines would smell that exact way when the oil was fresh. Your basically putting the additives back in that the EPA stripped out.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Pd6cas2
09-18-2019, (Subject: Oil change with 10% gear oil ) 
Thanks! Should I see any obvious differences in engine performance with the 'good stuff' in it, or only visible if the engine internals were to be examined, such as in Rawze rebuild videos?
replyreply
09-18-2019, (Subject: Oil change with 10% gear oil ) 
i would say your trading mechanical drag for parasitic drag with gear lube maybe a bit higher oil pressure is about all youll notice and in the end less wear and tear on metal to metal items (cams) and bearings.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
09-19-2019, (Subject: Oil change with 10% gear oil ) 
As Rawze has said and many of us will verify, you'll hear a difference in the engine running. It won't be nearly as chattery and loud. After using it for sometime and paying attention, you'll begin to actually hear when the engine gets a little noisier. It'll probably be getting real close to your expected oil service time.
replyreply
09-19-2019, (Subject: Oil change with 10% gear oil ) 
(09-19-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  As Rawze has said and many of us will verify, you'll hear a difference in the engine running. It won't be nearly as chattery and loud. After using it for sometime and paying attention, you'll begin to actually hear when the engine gets a little noisier. It'll probably be getting real close to your expected oil service time.

It’s funny you mentioned that. The other weekend I decided to one morning to get my oil bypass installed. I wasn’t due for oil just yet but what the h*ll. Wasn’t going to install new filter bypass and not change oil. So I drained everything. Worked on bypass first cause I needed to make it in time to get lines made up. Anyways. Finished everything put all new filters and oil. Full service. Well Sunday I started it up. Double checked everything and it just sounded different. Well hoped in to take it back down to work yard to get hooked up and ready for Monday. And I was beating my head cause something sounded off. Weird. Not anything bad. Just a different tone or pitch or something. Got to work. Hooked up. Went back home. Thinking about it the whole time. Then like a bolder smashed me in the head. Yup. Forgot the gear oil. Hahah.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.