Last straw
10-15-2019, (Subject: Last straw ) 
RE: Last straw
How do you raise liner height? Heard you have to cut, but cutting would make me think lower not higher position.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
(10-15-2019 )Mattman Wrote:  How do you raise liner height? Heard you have to cut, but cutting would make me think lower not higher position.

After you cut you shim back up to get it to .014

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman , Rawze , Brock
is it 3 times you torque the head? thought just 2?

User's Signature: Also known as Shotgun
replyreply
I'm gonna ask the dumb question here cause I see everyone on here say to go back the next day and retorque the head again.......

How?

When you tighten the head bolts down, isnt it torque plus? If so, what number would you be torquing it to the next day?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
You do the extra 90 the following day. That is how Rawze did mine, I kept falling off the truck, LOL!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(10-15-2019 )Brock Wrote:  I'm gonna ask the dumb question here cause I see everyone on here say to go back the next day and retorque the head again.......

How?

When you tighten the head bolts down, isnt it torque plus? If so, what number would you be torquing it to the next day?

i personally check the toque after the torque plus and give em all a once over to make sure none have slacked. When youve done enough you kinda know how they feel and some just feel wrong after the torque plus.
replyreply
(10-15-2019 )Brock Wrote:  ...

The manual says to torque the head bolts in increments 75 ft-lbs, then 150 ft-lbs, then to 300 ft-lbs. Then add an additional 90 degrees on the head bolts as a final setting.

-- Instead of doing what the book says ....

Start out by torquing the head bolts in increments 75 ft-lbs, then 150 ft-lbs, then to 300 ft-lbs, same as book.

-- THEN let the head sit over night so the gasket can crush.

THE NEXT DAY, Re-torque the head AGAIN to the 300 ft-lbs a second time after the gasket has had time to crush. - It is not unusual to get another 1/4 to 1/2 turn or more sometimes out of them to get them back to 300.

AFTER THAT, Then add the additional 90 degrees on the head bolts for the final setting.

==============

BTW: just for reference, the final overall tightness after turning them that last 90 degrees will be roughly around 480+ ft-lbs (sometimes almost 500) or so on most of the bolts, if not a bit more.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , hhow55 , Tootall , Waterloo
i measured 500lbft on final torque myself, but the measurement wasnt 100% perfect so its good to see that you came out there aswell.
replyreply
(10-15-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  i measured 500lbft on final torque myself, but the measurement wasnt 100% perfect so its good to see that you came out there aswell.

I know of one shop about 3 or so years ago that was blowing head gaskets like mad.

Turns out the head mechanic (supposedly factory trained by cummins, certified, etc.) argued with me and hung up on me after telling me that you only need to torque head to 300 ft-lbs. They were not doing the final 90 degrees torque.

-- I got an apology from another shop member of that place about 4 months later after the 8th or 9th engine blew a head gasket a 3rd time by this arrogant self righteous arsse-clown!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Chamberpains , Brock , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.