ABS issue 2008 ProStar
06-12-2016, (Subject: ABS issue 2008 ProStar ) 
ABS issue 2008 ProStar
Going down the road, out of nowhere the warning buzzer goes off in the dash. The Traction Cotrol and ABS idiot lights come on along with the jake brake lighting up and flashing. What is going on? ABS sensor going bad at the tone ring or something worse? I just had a wheel seal replaced on my rear axle, that is the only thing I can think of that may cause this.

Are there any issues with driving the truck like this, say for another week?

Thanks guys!
replyreply
RE: ABS issue 2008 ProStar
I would at least check to see if the bearings, lug-nuts, axle etc. was tight. Jack it up and check for play. -- Safety is always your first concern.

I had a friend that had a wheel seal replaced,.. He got ABS alarms after,.. and similar problems. 300 miles down the road, the nut backed off because the mechanic damaged the lock pins for the nut, and the wheel chewed throught the axle and he was very lucky he didn't flip the truck when it failed. -- The axle repair cost him another $3800 and 2 days down time for the mechanics mistake.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks Rawze, taking it in first thing in the morning.
replyreply
06-13-2016, (Subject: ABS issue 2008 ProStar ) 
I would start by pulling Fault Codes and connecting to the Brake Controller like
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=105
replyreply
(06-13-2016 )Vin Wrote:  I would start by pulling Fault Codes and connecting to the Brake Controller like
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=105

That was my first intent, but I have no codes showing. I don't have the software to get into that particular system, and need to get rolling ASAP, so off to the dealer. BUT, will download that software, thank you for the link! I wish I had time to mess with it, me and PC software do not get along, and we are extremely busy right now. It will cost me more to tinker with it myself, than to run it up to the dealer. I have to make hay while the going is good.
replyreply
Took the truck to the dealer, checked wheels, all is tight. But, we kept getting a datalink non communication code. I'm taking the truck back up in an hour when their electrical tech comes in. The mechanic that checked the ABS system, my engine rebuilder, wants him to look at it. He went as far as he could, not his forte, so I am heading back up in a bit. He thinks it is a bad wire in the harness, any thoughts? All of the sensors came back as working properly.
replyreply
(06-13-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I have to make hay while the going is good.

I know you don't drive fast Waterloo, but I would still like to say this for those who may not have read it before...
------

You know there is a good reason that my truck has only been driven 55-58~ish mph all its life and less than 20 lbs of boost. We also refuse or re-negotiate the dilevery time any load that would require us to drive more than 600 miles in each driving shift too. -- all this while running UPS, FEDEX, and all the major carriers freight...

I refuse to let the roads beat the crap out of it, and I want as little downtime and problems as absolutely possible. -- To me, this pays the most, as I can keep it moving much more reliably than all those guys that go 65+ and are in my opinion,... "in a hurry" compared to my turdle-slow arsse.

I will always be a proponent of slowing down to below 60 mph in a big-rig. -- There isn't much money in constant problems like blown wheel hubs/seals, busted shocks, eaten up tires, worn out engines, intermittent wiring, and other constant minor problems due to the constant beating, and don't forget about the the fatigue of these horribly bad, in need of repair roads on your body too.

I know well that most of the truck owners and drivers completely disagree with my "pushing to go slow" or my "slow is better" philosophy but by god,.. If what someone is doing is not working out so good for them, ... and they are having constant problems -- perhaps a new strategy is warranted.

I have not heard of a single truck owner going out of business because they drove their truck below 60 mph and kept their boost down, but I have heard of plenty that loose their shirts who drive 65+ all day.

Like I said, it is not directed at you Waterloo,.. I am just putting this out there.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Well, just got back from the dealer... You will not believe what we found! I had no clue that there is a compass in my truck. On the gage cluster, where the outside air temp reads out, right below that is supposed to read which direction I am headed. It has never worked, so we swapped one of these compass modules out from another truck on the lot and all of the codes went away! Problem is, these modules are not cheap and or easy to come by. A stinking compass module?

Found a compass module, EBay, brand new in the box, $19.99 with fast and free shipping... Beats the hell out of the $364.00 the dealer wanted, and there are none to be had to boot!

Rawze, I hear you on the speed! You want to destroy a truck, come on up here to Detroit and drive the speed limit on some of our roads... LOL! Hell, there are spots up here, expressway, I'm in 7 high riding the shoulder! Ain't no speeding up here, the parts I haul ain't that important.
replyreply
(06-13-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  You know there is a good reason that my truck has only been driven 55-58~ish mph all its life and less than 20 lbs of boost. We also refuse or re-negotiate the dilevery time any load that would require us to drive more than 600 miles in each driving shift too. -- all this while running UPS, FEDEX, and all the major carriers freight...

I refuse to let the roads beat the crap out of it, and I want as little downtime and problems as absolutely possible. -- To me, this pays the most, as I can keep it moving much more reliably than all those guys that go 65+ and are in my opinion,... "in a hurry" compared to my turdle-slow arsse.

I will always be a proponent of slowing down to below 60 mph in a big-rig. -- There isn't much money in constant problems like blown wheel hubs/seals, busted shocks, eaten up tires, worn out engines, intermittent wiring, and other constant minor problems due to the constant beating, and don't forget about the the fatigue of these horribly bad, in need of repair roads on your body too.

I know well that most of the truck owners and drivers completely disagree with my "pushing to go slow" or my "slow is better" philosophy but by god,.. If what someone is doing is not working out so good for them, ... and they are having constant problems -- perhaps a new strategy is warranted.

I have not heard of a single truck owner going out of business because they drove their truck below 60 mph and kept their boost down, but I have heard of plenty that loose their shirts who drive 65+ all day.

I completely agree with you Rawze. I see some drivers bomb down the highway 70+ and just think of the amount of stress the equipment is being subjected to especially if fully loaded. I know there are trucks out there with more heavy duty axles and suspensions that can deal with those stresses over a longer period of time, but usually just leads to a more catastrophic failure.

Unfortunately, because of the gearing on my truck, I have to run over 60 mph otherwise I'd be lugging the engine. I remember reading somewhere that the 2250 "Sweet spot" is 1350 rpms. With my overdrive transmission and 3.42 rear gears, that puts me right at 63ish mph. Seems to be working ok as I'm getting upper 7's mpgs with a completely stock truck.

(06-13-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  Well, just got back from the dealer... You will not believe what we found! I had no clue that there is a compass in my truck. On the gage cluster, where the outside air temp reads out, right below that is supposed to read which direction I am headed. It has never worked, so we swapped one of these compass modules out from another truck on the lot and all of the codes went away! Problem is, these modules are not cheap and or easy to come by. A stinking compass module?

That makes perfect sense.......actually that makes no sense. At least to me it doesn't. Why would it now be setting codes if it's never worked before?

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.