Turbo air filter....
09-20-2019, (Subject: Turbo air filter.... ) 
Turbo air filter....

Quickserve called that a filter housing, is this something that needs to be serviced?

It looks like air goes from the truck, to that housing, then up to my turbo actuator controller

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
RE: Turbo air filter....
You have a CM870.
Your turbo is air actuated.
This will be a pressurized air screen/filtration devise, and yes it can and should be serviced. If it was to become too contaminated, it could reduce the flow volume, pressure, and response, thus affecting VGT performance.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck , Techmech , Rawze

Ok, I’ll look into ordering a filter

Does it matter what size airline goes to it? I’m curious why it’s been spliced to go to a smaller size

replyreply
It is a small spin on filter
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck
09-21-2019, (Subject: Turbo air filter.... ) 
I would imagine that the size of air line does matter. What your showing in that pic is someones rigging. I can definitely say that any kind if restrictions in the feed or supply of air affects these the response if the actuator.

If the flow of air in that picture is going from the big line to the small line, that is a restriction. I would take a trip to your local dealership with your VIN# and ask if you can get a blow up of your entire turbo actuator supply air system. Specifically anything on the truck that Cummins quickserve does not already show you. Some restrictions are supposed to be there. Like on my 9400i international, it has a psi reducer before it goes to the control module. But yours has obvious rigging. If i were you, I'd make damn sure its supposed to be set up that way. If not, fix it. It will be causing problems like slow actuator response or it may even not be traveling to it correct commanded position.
replyreply
(09-21-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I would imagine that the size of air line does matter. What your showing in that pic is someones rigging. I can definitely say that any kind if restrictions in the feed or supply of air affects these the response if the actuator.

If the flow of air in that picture is going from the big line to the small line, that is a restriction. I would take a trip to your local dealership with your VIN# and ask if you can get a blow up of your entire turbo actuator supply air system. Specifically anything on the truck that Cummins quickserve does not already show you. Some restrictions are supposed to be there. Like on my 9400i international, it has a psi reducer before it goes to the control module. But yours has obvious rigging. If i were you, I'd make damn sure its supposed to be set up that way. If not, fix it. It will be causing problems like slow actuator response or it may even not be traveling to it correct commanded position.
My truck had a CM871, which was replaced with a CM870. So it’s tricky to know for sure what should be there from factory.

And, with that being said, I now wonder where that airline actually gets air from, since it’s not factory

I looked into the Cummins side of things yesterday, then followed up with the international dealer. I can’t find that fitting on the Cummins side, nor the international side, because of the wrong year motor

replyreply
There should be an air regulator that drops the pressure in the supply line to 90 psi
replyreply

Without hooking up an air pressure gauge, i don’t know the psi, but the purple line does feed the filter from a pressure reduction valve. It’s similar to the one on my ABS module that feeds my leveling valve

replyreply
09-22-2019, (Subject: Turbo air filter.... ) 
Ya, that's the one. Its connected to the treadle valve. What year and model international do you have?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.