2014 Pete 386
09-25-2019, (Subject: 2014 Pete 386 ) 
RE: 2014 Pete 386
Check your wires to the sensor. They frequently get melted from being too close to the exhaust.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Casper
(09-25-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Check your wires to the sensor. They frequently get melted from being too close to the exhaust.

I will do that! Thanks
replyreply
(09-25-2019 )GreenBean Wrote:  Took a look at the 386, after driving and looking it over, it threw up a fault code 3216. Shop replaced the NOx sensor, did a re-gen and code disappeared. They replaced a couple of tires (my request...they had a flat spot, causing a little vibration)....drove it again, purchased it and left...drove several hours, parked the truck for the night. Cranked this morning, drove a couple of hours and the fault code popped up again....after reading through all the forums here, I'm guessing it's another bad sensor OR..it wasn't installed properly....working on that right now! Any input??

3216 is not a direct cummins fault code.

What is the
FMI number ??
and the
SPN number ??

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Casper
09-29-2019, (Subject: 2014 Pete 386 ) 
(09-22-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I drove one up in the oil fields, a snub nose 379 was my impression. Did not care much for the mirrors, but all in all, a good truck. That is about all I know, as far as build quality, I have no clue.

The motor is where I would have concerns, are emissions intact? Any service records? Have you gone over the motor, removed the valve cover to inspect the cam? Have the sensors been changed out and the fuel pump gone through and rebuilt or replaced? If everything is still painted factory Cummins red you will more than likely be installing a fuel pump, all new sensors, EGR tuneup and the emissions will need to be gone through, the DPF/DOC and SCR, very pricey.

If the mandate was taken care of, I would be leery of the motor unless someone from here did the work, a trip to NAPA and a Block Test Kit would be in order to see if the head and or liners are still intact.

With any of these used trucks it is a real crap shoot, a REAL CRAP SHOOT. If I was in the market for a used truck, it would be old and non emission or plan on having at least $30,000 in the bank to have the motor in framed, even with low miles. Carbon packing is your enemy, especially if the truck has been idled for any amount of time. Is there a working APU on the truck, that would be a good sign.

We've cleaned the new NOX sensor, re-installed and it cleared out the fault code (twice), threw the same code up again...3 times now....pulled, cleaned the threads and re-installed yet again....this time the code is resilient...
replyreply
(09-25-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Check your wires to the sensor. They frequently get melted from being too close to the exhaust.

Wires are intact. Pulled the sensor, cleaned it...re-installed and fault codes cleared. After driving a bit, fault code came up again. Repeated above procedure...fault code cleared again.... Drove it again, maybe 100 miles, crossed a bridge (aha) and bam...fault code is back. Just cleaned again, re-installed, but the code is not clearing this time.
replyreply
It's showing SPN 3216 and 1387. These are the codes that are being displayed on the dash. I've cleaned the threads on the sensor and down just inside the exhaust as instructed. I'm open to any other suggestions?
replyreply
09-30-2019, (Subject: 2014 Pete 386 ) 
(09-29-2019 )GreenBean Wrote:  It's showing SPN 3216 and 1387. These are the codes that are being displayed on the dash. I've cleaned the threads on the sensor and down just inside the exhaust as instructed. I'm open to any other suggestions?

your dash display is obviously NOT showing cummins fault code(s).

SPN: 3216
without the FMI # to go with the SPN number, it is almost completely meaningless ... it could be ANYTHING related to a NOx sensor and is NOT very helpful towards solving the actual problem!!!

Without that FMI# (or at least the actual cummins engine fault code) --- it could be any one of the following errors...

-------------------------
FMI: 16
Aftertreatment Intake NOx - Data Valid But Above Normal Operating Range - Moderately Severe Level. A high engine out nitrogen oxide (NOx) condition has been detected.

I.E.> - NOx levels in the exhaust is simply too high, nothing wrong with sensor.

OR....

FMI: 10
Aftertreatment Intake NOx Sensor - Abnormal Rate of Change. The aftertreatment intake nitrogen oxide (NOx) sensor reading is not valid.

I.E.> Invalid data / incompatible NOx sonsor for the enigne /NOx sensor is not communicating properly on the J1839 bus.

OR...

FMI: 20
Aftertreatment Intake NOx Sensor - Data Not Rational - Drifted High. An offset in the intake nitrogen oxide (NOx) sensor reading has been detected.

I.E.> The NOx sensor is out of calibration, or is reading too high only when the engine is at idle.

OR ...

FMI: 13
Aftertreatment Intake NOx - Out of Calibration. A calibration mismatch between the aftertreatment intake nitrogen oxide (NOx) sensor and the engine control module (ECM) has been detected.

I.E.> An incompatible NOx sensor has been installed for that model engine.

OR...

FMI: 2/2
Aftertreatment Intake NOx Sensor - Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect. An incorrect nitrogen oxide (NOx) sensor reading has been detected by the aftertreatment intake NOx sensor.

I.E.> The Nox sensor has a wiring or communications issue.

OR...

FMI: 4
Aftertreatment Intake NOx Sensor Circuit - Voltage Below Normal or Shorted to Low Source. An internal circuit error has been detected by the aftertreatment intake nitrogen oxide (NOx) sensor.

I.E.> Nox sensor is grounded out due to bad wiring or plug problem.

OR...

FMI: 9
Aftertreatment Intake NOx Sensor - Abnormal Update Rate. No communication or an invalid data transfer rate has been detected on the J1939 data link between the engine control module (ECM) and the aftertreatment intake nitrogen oxide (NOx) sensor.

I.E.> Nox sensor is not sending signals fast enough to the ecm .. it could be the NOx sensor, or it could be some other device (like the turbo, egr valve, a different nox sensor, or a number of things) tieing up the J1939 bus by sending signals too frequently, CAUSING THE ONE WITH THE ERROR NOT TO BE ABLE TO SEND SIGNALS OFTEN ENOUGH.

OR any number of other faults related to NOx sensors.

<<_-- TAKE YOUR PICK!!! -- WITHOUT THAT FMI NUMBER OR THE ACTUAL CUMMINS FAULT CODE -- YOUR DOING NOTHING BUT GUESSING!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Casper

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.