Cm871 oil pressure loss
09-28-2019, (Subject: Cm871 oil pressure loss ) 
Cm871 oil pressure loss
2010 Lonestar cm871. Just over 200,000 miles. New DPF and engine oil installed by dealer before I purchased truck less than 500 miles ago. At startup, engine oil is at 40 PSI. Within 15 minutes of driving goes down to 20 psi. Attach an empty trailer, drive 20 minutes oil pressure drops to 10 psi with stop engine alarm. Coolant stays at 180°oil temperature at 220°.Hooked up mechanical oil pressure gauge that verifies OEM gauge is accurate. Any truth to fleetguard [/size]oil filters plugging up?
replyreply
RE: Cm871 oil pressure loss
(09-28-2019 )Murray Farms Wrote:  2010 Lonestar cm871. Just over 200,000 miles. New DPF and engine oil installed by dealer before I purchased truck less than 500 miles ago. At startup, engine oil is at 40 PSI. Within 15 minutes of driving goes down to 20 psi. Attach an empty trailer, drive 20 minutes oil pressure drops to 10 psi with stop engine alarm. Coolant stays at 180°oil temperature at 220°.Hooked up mechanical oil pressure gauge that verifies OEM gauge is accurate. Any truth to fleetguard [/size]oil filters plugging up?

Plugged up with soot possibly?? Did the pressure do the same at the beginning of the 500mi, or has it progressively got worse? 200k on a 2010 is nothing, unless it was used in an unfavorable manor....would make me question the amount of idle time incurred. Any way to verify the hours on the engine? The new DPF in such a short mileage interval seems to also be a red flag.

- When I inspected mine @ 268k, it was in very good condition. No signs of face plugging or build-up of any kind to indicate an issue. Just lead me to believe the dealer may be giving you little to none of the actual story...
replyreply
Are those the original miles on that truck/motor, or has it been in framed or a recon motor installed? Like SquareOne asked, have you checked the actual hours on the motor? Does it have a wet kit installed or other PTO driven device?

Have you cut the oil filter open to inspect for soot? Do that and see what you find. If it is filled with soot after this DPF/DOC change out and service, did they just change the oil and skip the filter replacement? You cannot trust these dealers. You may have the old oil filter on there yet.

Or, it could be something as simple as a bad oil pressure sending unit. It is located on the driver side of the block behind the fuel filter. Around $40, only replace with a genuine Cummins part. I bet it is the original if the mileage is true on this truck.

I would also get under the valve cover and inspect for soot damage to the cams, you are looking for pitting or scaring on the cam lobes and rollers. I would also do a proper overhead while in there. Odds are that has never been done if this motor only has 200,000 original miles.

Any more info you have on the trucks history the better. Did you actually see the new DPF/DOC cans installed? Have you crawled under there to see if they did not simply knock the dust off the old cans and called it a day? Happens more often than you would think. You may have the old cans still on there.
replyreply
Pressure seemed fine until I put a trailer behind the truck. With insight connected to the ECM.. 14853 hours. One owner truck a small beer distributor, I don't believe maintenance was top priority. Had more failed regenerations than successful ones.. should have bought the laptop and data link before I purchased the truck.
replyreply
replace the oil filter and see if you have same problem.

BTW: Fleetguard filters do not have any pressure loss problems --- SOOT-PACKED ENGINES CAUSE PLUGGED OIL FILTERS! -- And if the factory brand of oil filter cannot keep up with it -- YOU HAVE SEVERE ENGINE PROBLEM, NOT A FILTER PROBLEM!!!

If A FILTER SOLVES IT, then the engine is severely soot-packed and needs not only an oil change again to remove some of the soot, but someone needs to find out why the engine is getting soot packed and making way too much soot!. - that problem can kill the engine in no time.

lastly --- WHO IS THE MORON WHO WOULD DRIVE THE DAMN THING KNOWING THE PRESSURE IS BELOW 30 PSI (should be 34-36 psi though) GOING DOWN THE ROADS --- I SUPPOSE SOMEONE JUST DON'T CARE THAT IT COULD SPIN A BEARING OR WORSE???--- SOMEONE NEEDS TO NOT DRIVE THAT THING LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- IF I HAD A DRIVER THAT DID THAT TO MY TRUCK I WOULD HAVE FIRED HIM ON THE SPOT!@

if the oil filter does not fix the oil pressure loss issue then someone needs to find out where that thing is hemorrhaging oil internally. Start by looking under the valve cover with the enigne running... http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...1#pid41261

next... would be this list of stuff...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid31999

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I would give it a solid EGR tuneup, along with a new doser as that is more than likely carbon'd up too. There used to be a core deposit on the doser, so don't throw out the old one.

There is a video series in the video link at the top of the page on how to do an EGR Tuneup on the CM-871. I would recommend watching the series.

I would do the EGR Tuneup ASAP, and clean the soot out, a little elbow grease is required, then do the overhead and inspect the cams.

When you do the EGR tuneup, replace the oil pressure sending unit, and I would also replace the cam and crank sensors, they are both the same sensor, get two.

When under the valve cover, inspect the Jake harness. You are looking for brittleness and broken clips, etc. If funky, replace.

Also, inspect the DPF/DOC cans, make sure the dealer installed what they said. More than likely a good EGR tuneup will get you rolling if the dealer told the truth. The iMap sensor is the crucial one, it is located on the intake pipe going into the block.

You have a good motor there, but they can be a real PIA to straighten out if they have been previously abused or neglected.

And don't take this job to the dealer, do it yourself, so that way you know it was done correctly. Never trust the dealer in regards to emissions, they will sell you a turbo and EGR cooler way before they ever fix the real issue, normally that iMap sensor.

Good luck.
replyreply
Pretty sure this is original miles. No wrench marks on bolt heads. I adjusted the overhead valves, very clean up top. Cams were smooth. I also thoroughly clean the EGR. IMAP was plugged, replaced differential pressure sensor. Yes it has a remanufactured turbo, someone already ripped off the original owner. DPF is definitely new. DOC is original, I better get new one. Cut oil filter apart, didn't look terrible. Viscosity tested the oil definitely thinner than new. Thanks for your replies.
replyreply
Viscosity tested the oil definitely thinner than new.
Doe's the oil smell of diesel?

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
Got several opinions. Smells like diesel exhaust.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.