AC, Upper cover oil leak...
10-07-2019, (Subject: AC, Upper cover oil leak... ) 
RE: AC, Upper cover oil leak...
Well, had the intake side apart, easily bar the motor, so I did the overhead. Still have yet to get to the AC, need to do that tomorrow, the vacuum and fill.

Painting contractors here at the house, I have been helping with the carpentry side, rebuilt a 33 foot long balcony and will be laying new flooring on Wednesday. They gave me today off, so I squeezed in the overhead. Sounds like I may have tomorrow off too...

I had an EGR valve code on the monitor in the truck, so I think I will pull off the EGR valve tomorrow and see what that is about, clean it up a bit and hopefully it will be ok to go back in. The code read like it was leaking... Thinking soot, as my oil is still coal black, no honey brown like it used to be. Maybe I will start another thread on this. I'll see what the code said in the morning, sitting here in my nightgown drinking beer.
replyreply
10-12-2019, (Subject: AC, Upper cover oil leak... ) 
My compressor is 3 years old now. Still no issues with it. Had i not creamed that deer i might have the original on there still, but insurance paid to replace it as the condensor was damaged and the shop advised to replace it along with the filter/drier. I have my own recovery machine so i can measure and replace any oil that gets pulled out then put the exact amount of freon in. Being as i put thermistors in every 6 to 12 months i have a set in my shop at all times. Are you sure theres not too much freon going to the compressor and its slugging?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
10-13-2019, (Subject: AC, Upper cover oil leak... ) 
(10-12-2019 )Nilao Wrote:  My compressor is 3 years old now. Still no issues with it. Had i not creamed that deer i might have the original on there still, but insurance paid to replace it as the condensor was damaged and the shop advised to replace it along with the filter/drier. I have my own recovery machine so i can measure and replace any oil that gets pulled out then put the exact amount of freon in. Being as i put thermistors in every 6 to 12 months i have a set in my shop at all times. Are you sure theres not too much freon going to the compressor and its slugging?

The compressor from the in frame failed soon after leaving Rawze's, like on the way home. Put a new one on and it has been freezing me out of the cab on 90*+ days, no icing on any of the lines or in the cab of the condenser. That one has been on for well over a year with no issues. Was working fine when I left the house right up until I pulled the plug.

When the clutch engages, is when the howling begins, this just started somewhere between Detroit and Chicago. And this is not the howling that a bad expansion valve makes, this is direct from the ac clutch/compressor. I hope I caught it in time before it started sending metal through the system. Un plugged and removed belt immediately upon figuring it out.

You can turn the compressor clutch and feel a slight grinding, sticking, where the new compressor spins freely.

I'll be getting it together today or tomorrow, other things going on here at the house that have me distracted.
replyreply
Waterloo have you thoroughly flushed the hvac system? Rpl the dryer? New compressors hold about 6-8 oz of oil. Snds kinda like its not getting enough oil.
replyreply
(10-13-2019 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Waterloo have you thoroughly flushed the hvac system? Rpl the dryer? New compressors hold about 6-8 oz of oil. Snds kinda like its not getting enough oil.

Yep, getting a new dryer tomorrow, thought I had one in the garage with my AC parts... No signs of metal shavings in lines, I played with the old compressor this morning, grinding a bit, but looks like I caught it in time. New compressor is preloaded, but I have a bit of PAG oil that I will add with the R134A.

Too much crap going on around here, been playing carpenter, rebuilt the front porch, and a 33 foot long balcony off the back of the house. Contractor buddy just left, laying aluminum trim, laid flooring yesterday on the balcony, trim work tomorrow and installing the wrought iron railing. No time to work on the truck...Neighbor came over, so no dinner, she just left, and took her damn beer...

No rest for the wicked, I'm pooped, out of beer and smokes.
replyreply
Maybe worth ur time to flush the system. I think oreilly has a flush canister u can borrow. Use lacquer thinner, flush backwards. Then blow it all out with CLEAN / DRY air. Install the new compressor and vacuum it down. U shouldnt be losing compressors that frequent.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.