ISX15 CM2250 oil consumption
10-08-2019, (Subject: ISX15 CM2250 oil consumption ) 
Wink ISX15 CM2250 oil consumption
I apologize in advance if there's similar thread.
I have this engine on my 2013 Volvo.
Recently I need to add a gallon of oil every 4 thousand miles in order to stay at the same level. Currently truck is with 675k miles on it.
Emission system has never been altered in any way. No any active fault codes, neither for the engine nor the emissions.
Didn't noticed any power lost or diminished. Engine brake is working great.
the only thing I noticed regens more often since I noticed it is losing oil.Like every 3 hundred miles.
For me it's obvious burned oil clogs the filter.
what's the first step I should do?

User's Signature: Volvo 2013 ISX15 CM2250
replyreply
RE: ISX15 CM2250 oil consumption
If I were you I would demandate it. You're also do for an inframe very shortly.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
I didn't want to say the "I" word... Start tearing things apart, look in the crankcase filter box, are you using the old filter or the new forever filter? I would start there. If you have no idea what that is, it is the box on the driver side front of the motor. Open that up and inspect the filter, I think it is 10 mm or 8 mm bolts holding the cover on, the bolts do not come all the way out, so don't try to remove them. Also becareful removing the sensor on the front edge of the box, I think it requires a 3 mm Allen wrench to remove that screw if you cannot disconnect from the wire harness.

Then pull the plumbing off the CAC to the Turbo, you are looking for oil in the CAC and turbo, good time to inspect the turbo, I'm in mine right now, just did an overhead.

Have you done an overhead? I would open her up and take a look at the cam and rollers, Cummins quickserve has a step by step on how to do this, and Rawze has the video that really explains it all in the video section. You will need to learn how to do this if you plan on surviving out here.

Any oil in the coolant? How are your coolant levels?

Also, on the driver side of the block, behind the fuel filter is your oil pressure sending unit, they can really leak some oil when the o ring fails, and it is difficult to spot at times. Also above that and towards the front of the truck in the head is the Jake brake harness, they can leak quite a bit too.

May want to remove the DPF and DOC cans to inspect them. Cheaper to do it yourself, one of those things you will need to learn if you keep the mandate.

That is off the top of my head... I am sure there are other places to check, others will chime in.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
2250's and 2350's are known for high oil consumption when the rings get carbon packed due to lack of regular emissions and egr system maintenance + no secondary bypass filtration system to keep the soot at bay.

when they go that long with oil changes not being done often enough to keep the soot levels down + are neglected like hell, that is the typical result.

many of them don't make it past 450 - 500k miles before needing an inframe.

It is a very well known and common problem with them whenever someone drive it its whole life and not taking extra steps to minimize soot levels, not installing a secondary bypass oil system, and not changing IMAP and other sensors regularly + cleaning out the egr piping etc. The oil ends up smelling like soot all the time, is black all the time, and everything takes it toll on that engine and eventually wears it out, carbon packs the rings, and eats up valve guide seals.

These newer ISX engines cannot be driven like a blind fool until the CEL light comes on -- It takes regular thorough maint. of those systems every half year to year or so BEFORE the problems set in to protect the engine and emissions systems.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , SquareOne , hhow55
10-09-2019, (Subject: ISX15 CM2250 oil consumption ) 
(10-08-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  2250's and 2350's are known for high oil consumption when the rings get carbon packed due to lack of regular emissions and egr system maintenance + no secondary bypass filtration system to keep the soot at bay.

when they go that long with oil changes not being done often enough to keep the soot levels down + are neglected like hell, that is the typical result.

many of them don't make it past 450 - 500k miles before needing an inframe.

It is a very well known and common problem with them whenever someone drive it its whole life and not taking extra steps to minimize soot levels, not installing a secondary bypass oil system, and not changing IMAP and other sensors regularly + cleaning out the egr piping etc. The oil ends up smelling like soot all the time, is black all the time, and everything takes it toll on that engine and eventually wears it out, carbon packs the rings, and eats up valve guide seals.

These newer ISX engines cannot be driven like a blind fool until the CEL light comes on -- It takes regular thorough maint. of those systems every half year to year or so BEFORE the problems set in to protect the engine and emissions systems.
Is the secondary bypass oil system necessary on a demandated 2350 as well?
replyreply
I’m fairly certain it would assist in the cleanout of the previous soot deposits as well as the prevention of new deposits down the line...

Certainly wouldn’t hurt
replyreply
 Thanks given by: david24
You can install one, but if you service every 12,000 - 15,000 miles, I would not be too concerned. I thought about installing one on mine, but there is enough sheet on my truck as it is, another maintenance item is not something I need nor want. If you do get one, Amsoil has an inexpensive unit, but you will need to figure out the plumbing and where to install the filter so that you can get to it.
replyreply
(10-09-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  You can install one, but if you service every 12,000 - 15,000 miles, I would not be too concerned. I thought about installing one on mine, but there is enough sheet on my truck as it is, another maintenance item is not something I need nor want. If you do get one, Amsoil has an inexpensive unit, but you will need to figure out the plumbing and where to install the filter so that you can get to it.
If it's something that I don't absolutely need I think I'll leave it alone
replyreply
10-10-2019, (Subject: ISX15 CM2250 oil consumption ) 
(10-09-2019 )david24 Wrote:  
(10-09-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  You can install one, but if you service every 12,000 - 15,000 miles, I would not be too concerned. I thought about installing one on mine, but there is enough sheet on my truck as it is, another maintenance item is not something I need nor want. If you do get one, Amsoil has an inexpensive unit, but you will need to figure out the plumbing and where to install the filter so that you can get to it.
If it's something that I don't absolutely need I think I'll leave it alone

It is nice to have, but with the mandate off the truck, regular service and a quality oil filter should take care of the oil and internals just fine. A truck with the mandate, and you were going to keep the mandate, I would install one.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: david24

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.